Ruby IDE's

I have Netbeans 6.7 on the Mac Os X platform and its quite an ordeal to
get it to install gems without putting it in the wrong directory because
it executes installation that requires installation using sudo and does
not prompt for the password, so stuff gets installed in the wrong
directory.

I agree, that for a beginner like me, it’s best to use the command line
… I do not trust the choices Netbeans makes when creating a project,
without asking me, and its rather confusing to search for the waldo I
need to use every time I turn around.

So, I have been doing the Axe book stuff in command line because if the
exercise doesn’t work, and I didn’t do exactly as told to do, there
would be more of that nagging idea that I might not have done it right.

Besides, knowing how to do it without the IDE, will come in handy in
that day where the IDE gets upgraded with some nasty bug and you can’t
use it, or when you do you don’t get the expected results.

Example:

Yesterday I learned that simply because some thing has been out for
awhile and few are complaining doesn’t mean its working … I had been
trying to use jEdit as my editor but the Ruby Plugin it uses, was
accidentally compiled with a later java than a lot of folks have on
their machines.

Trying to find the correct java for this Mac is a nightmare, of
confusion, nothing is clear, everything is ambiguous. I see stuff called
J Something 5 that claims to install version 6 of j something and vice
versa.

Lesson: The more complex tools you use to build a project, the more
chances things will go wrong due to bugs in the tools.