Ruby Activity

Is ruby still being developed? The official site has last release in dec
2010.

The other thing is are any of the GUI toolkits still being developed.
Most of them date back to 2009 or later.

I love ruby but I went looking for a GUI toolkit today and found no
active ones then I started looking at ruby for the reason and now I am
worried.

Thanks in advance

Is ruby still being developed? The official site has last release in dec
2010.

It sure is. There are a dozen or so commits so far today, and about
200 this week:

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commits/trunk

The other thing is are any of the GUI toolkits still being developed.
Most of them date back to 2009 or later.

You’ll need to be a bit more specific, I think. “GUI toolkit” covers a
lot of different things.

John F.
Principal Consultant, BitsBuilder
LI: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnxf
SO: User John Feminella - Stack Overflow

The main site is more about stable releases, so they tend to have some
time
between them.

Lots of the GUI toolkits are simply bindings to things like gtk or kde,
so
they’re beholden to that schedule.

Others, like Shoes, are under active development, but can be slow
sometimes.
I’m the maintainer for Shoes, and I don’t exactly have a big team, so
while
I’m literally doing some dev right now, we don’t put out new releases on
super-fast schedule.

Thank you for the answers, I am happy to hear that. As to gui toolkit it
means a kit that allows you to make guis(shoes, fxruby, wxruby, qtruby,
etc). It seems to be the term in any
programming language I have coded in the past, if it has a different
name id love to know to correct my miss understanding.

By way of comparison:

Python 2.7.1 was released on November 27th, 2010
Perl 5.12.3 was released on January 22nd, 2011
Java saw its last release in April to work with new versions of IE and
Chrome, something Ruby doesn’t have to contend with.

Anyone questioning whether any of those are still being developed?
(well, maybe Perl… ;p)

Ruby comes with tk build in. While your investigating which toolkits
are right for your project that on is distributed with the language to
play with right off the bat.

~Stu

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Patrick L.
[email protected] wrote:

I’m using Ruby 1.8.7 and it does not contain TK…
ie, in irb: ‘require TK’ returns error ‘no such file to load…’

It’s actually not built into the RubyInstaller Windows versions. Maybe
there are other distributions that it’s not built into either. (You
can install Tcl/Tk yourself and then use the tk_as_gem gem to get it.)

It’s something you enable when you compile it. It’s optional based on
different user needs. For example if you where to use ruby on a
embedded system you may not need the extra space taken up by tk or
rdoc so you remove it and slim down the install.

For example on FreeBSD you enable the flag tk when running make install.
On Gentoo you add the use flag tk for it to build with it.
Darwin refers to them as variants to help with OS conflicts here is an
example output from a mac for 1.8.7:

% port variants ruby
ruby has the variants:
mactk: enable MacTk (Tk.framework without X11) support
* conflicts with tk
no_doc: do not install rdoc documents
[+]thread_hooks: apply Apple’s thread_hooks patch
tk: enable tk support
* conflicts with mactk
universal: Build for multiple architectures

1.9:

% port variants ruby19
ruby19 has the variants:
c_api_docs: Generate documentation for Ruby C API
mactk: Build using Mac OS X Tk Framework
* conflicts with tk
nosuffix: Don’t add the 1.9 program suffix to the executables. Note:
that
makes the port conflict with ruby (1.8), rb-rubygems, and
rb-rake
ports.
tk: Build using MacPorts Tk
* conflicts with mactk
universal: Build for multiple architectures

~

Hi,

I’m actually using a Mac with Snow Leopard…
At the Bash command line: the command tclsh invokes TCL, so it is
installed
on my machine…
However, in irb: require ‘tk’ gives an error message…

I’d appreciate any advice…quite frankly, I don’t know how to install
TCL
with Ruby gems…

Thank you

I’m actually using a Mac with Snow Leopard…
At the Bash command line: the command tclsh invokes TCL, so it is installed
on my machine…
However, in irb: require ‘tk’ gives an error message…

I’d appreciate any advice…quite frankly, I don’t know how to install TCL
with Ruby gems…

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

$ brew install ruby
$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -v
ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18 revision 30909) [x86_64-darwin10.6.0]

$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -S irb
irb(main):001:0> require ‘tk’
=> true
irb(main):002:0> root = TkRoot.new() { title “Hello, world!” }
=> #<Tk::Root:0x00000100840fc0 @path=“.”>
irb(main):003:0> Tk.mainloop()
=> true

If you use macports this is how you enable the variant flag:

% port -v install ruby +tk

or for 1.9.x:

% port -v install ruby19 +tk

rvm will install it as default. There is documentation on the rvm site
for further integration with macports and tk

~Stu