New wiki

whoa whoa, why don’t we host this stuff on the same server/location.

cliff, do you want to give jim an account and point /forum over to him?

this way, if the wiki goes down, the forum isn’t up and vice versa.
that always looks so amateur.

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 23:10 +0300, Igor S. wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:54:40PM -0700, Cliff W. wrote:

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 12:41 -0700, mike wrote:

Igor, would you be willing to donate nginx.org (or wiki.nginx.org,
forums.nginx.org or forum.nginx.org) etc. towards this?

I think wiki.nginx.org and forums.nginx.org subdomains would be
useful.

Well, I can point wiki.nginx.org to 69.168.53.49 right now. OK ?

That would be great.

Cliff

It is easy with vBulletin to see all unread posts. There is a menu
item at
top for that. You can also subscribe to threads that interest you,
and
unsubscribe from those that don’t.

Can I mark some messages as important for me ?

Yes, by subscribing to the thread. One click.

There is a quick entry box in which you can enter plain text if you
wish. No
need for anything fancy.

Yes, this is how I usually do when I need to post in web form: I
prepare
a text in vim and then paste it in web form. Sometimes there are
formating
issues. And I hate this. With mutt/vim I have handly quoting and edit
environment.

Igor,

We will work with posts however you format them.

Jim

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:18:42PM -0400, Jim O. wrote:

It is easy with vBulletin to see all unread posts. There is a menu
item at
top for that. You can also subscribe to threads that interest you,
and
unsubscribe from those that don’t.

Can I mark some messages as important for me ?

Yes, by subscribing to the thread. One click.

I mean some messages from a thread. A message dated two months ago.

That’s fine with me.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 03:52:25PM -0400, Jim O. wrote:

Igor,

It is easy with vBulletin to see all unread posts. There is a menu item at
top for that. You can also subscribe to threads that interest you, and
unsubscribe from those that don’t.

Can I mark some messages as important for me ?

With vBulletin it is easy to subscribe the list to new posts but presently
no mod for putting them back in. So when a new post was made it would come
to the list, but answers would need to be made in the forum. If someone
wants to write such a mod, I would be willing to contribute to the cost.

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 23:09 +0300, Igor S. wrote:

Yes, this is how I usually do when I need to post in web form: I prepare
a text in vim and then paste it in web form. Sometimes there are formating
issues. And I hate this. With mutt/vim I have handly quoting and edit
environment.

Igor, this is for you:

Cliff

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 13:27 -0700, mike wrote:

whoa whoa, why don’t we host this stuff on the same server/location.

cliff, do you want to give jim an account and point /forum over to him?

I can setup another VPS if that’s acceptable. Even if we host the
software on the same server, I think separate VPS’ is preferable. That
way we don’t have to worry about software conflicts or sharing a
database, etc.

Cliff

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:20:16PM -0400, Jim O. wrote:

Can you point forum.nginx.org to 67.213.222.44?

done

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On

It is easy with vBulletin to see all unread posts. There is a

I mean some messages from a thread. A message dated two months ago.

Ahh… that may be more difficult. I’m not sure if such a feature is
available but I can look. Each message can be isolated to a unique URL
and
bookmarked as a single post like
http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/44904-post2.html . Additionally, I
believe
that I can make the URL context sensitive so you would know looking at
it
what it contained. I would have to look into how but I don’t believe it
would be hard to do.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:22:08PM -0700, Cliff W. wrote:

Well, I can point wiki.nginx.org to 69.168.53.49 right now. OK ?

That would be great.

done.

There is a lot more that can be done about integration of mailing list,
forum, and wiki if they are all local to each other (I am considering
mailing list local by where it is interacted with). As such, if we are
going to risk splintering things with a forum (because it is a very
valid
concern). I think the idea to replicate across them is a good idea and
will
be the only way to help keep everything together and organized. Of
course,
the benefit to having them not on the same server is that if the forum
or
the wiki is down, the other will be up, but this is what local mailing
list
emails solve :).

  • Merlin

I prefer CentOS 5.2 as well. Igor just pointed the subdomain to my VPS
so
we’ll need to fix that, though honestly I don’t see it as a big deal
either
way. I use both OpenVZ and Virtuozzo and yes, a separate VPS is
preferable.
I need no control panel.

Jim

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 23:39 +0300, Igor S. wrote:

useful.

Well, I can point wiki.nginx.org to 69.168.53.49 right now. OK ?

That would be great.

done.

Okay, it’s official. We’re now http://wiki.nginx.org/

Regards,
Cliff

Most projects, as they grow, do have forums. It is a form of communication
preferred by many people. This is a fact, and as nginx is  continues to grow
in popularity it is bound to happen.

Working on an integration with the mailing list is something that I am
willing to contribute to financially

Hi Jim,

I’m not sure you saw the Nabble2 link
http://n2.nabble.com/nginx-f2469901.html

Check out their main page for the features. The only downside is that
it hasn’t archived any mailing list messages sent before when I
created the forum today.

Dan

Extremely valid concern. However, this is a growing community. Forcing
one
method of interaction/learning on all is a detriment to growth. That’s
the
“do it my way or no way” approach.

Most projects, as they grow, do have forums. It is a form of
communication
preferred by many people. This is a fact, and as nginx is continues to
grow
in popularity it is bound to happen.

Working on an integration with the mailing list is something that I am
willing to contribute to financially, but my php is not strong enough to
do
it myself.

Any takers?

Jim

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM, mike [email protected] wrote:

whoa whoa, why don’t we host this stuff on the same server/location.

cliff, do you want to give jim an account and point /forum over to him?

this way, if the wiki goes down, the forum isn’t up and vice versa.
that always looks so amateur.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Jim O. [email protected]

Jim O. wrote:

continues to grow in popularity it is bound to happen.

Working on an integration with the mailing list is something that I am
willing to contribute to financially, but my php is not strong enough to
do it myself.

I wasn’t going to comment on this, but jive software has built a whole
one-stop-shop community platform. (integrates ml with forums… etc…)
We (OSUNIX community) were granted a developer license and even though I
doubt it would be the preferred solution I’d happily host the nginx
community. The current limitation to this being that ml + forums won’t
be synced until we’re self hosting the smtp stuff. The guys/gals at
jivesofter are great, but I know the sticky point is mostly that many
projects/people don’t like to use non-foss stuff. (JIRA being another
example which is great, but not foss.) Just thought I’d toss some extra
ideas out there instead of more php spaghetti encumbering the world.

Thanks

./Christopher

Cliff W. <cliff@…> writes:

Cliff

Hi:
User contributed patches that were there as attachments have disappeared
Refer:
http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpUpstreamRequestHashModule?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=nginx_upstream_hash-0.3.tar.gz

Regards,
Sam V

This is a forum, isn’t it?

A mailing list is a forum of sorts but without the features of more
sophisticated software.

File attachments, private messagiing, threaded discussions, easy access
to older posts to name but a few.

Lighttpd has a forum, a wiki, and a mailing list. Howtoforge has a wiki
and a forum.

It’s simply another way to communicate and get/offer support.

If there’s no interest then there’s no interest.