Dude?

Dear native speakers

I have been quite bothered with the usage of the word “dude” recently.
Not that I dislike the word itself but I feel it should be reserved to
friends using it in a quite informal context.
Am I wrong and do I have to adapt or is there some kind of agreement
with my POV?

And sorry if you think this kind of netiquette question is OT.

Thanks in advantage
Robert

Thanks in advantage
advance LOL

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Robert D. [email protected]
wrote:

Dear native speakers

I have been quite bothered with the usage of the word “dude” recently.
Not that I dislike the word itself but I feel it should be reserved to
friends using it in a quite informal context.
Am I wrong and do I have to adapt or is there some kind of agreement
with my POV?

And sorry if you think this kind of netiquette question is OT.

Well, I’m no native speaker myself, but I’m pretty certain that you
can just do following, really simple

def dudify(context)
context.send(‘dude’)
rescue NoMethodError
def context.dude
‘’

Now, everytime you are unsure if your context replies well to dude,
you can just dudify it beforehand, and everytime you send another dude
it will just blank it out.
Of course you could use a polite version for special occasions:

def dudify(context)
return if context.respond_to?(:dude)
def context.dude
‘’

But if you are frequenting rubyist circles then it shouldn’t be any
problem to just rely on duck typing and stop worrying.

Hope that clarifies things a little,
^ manveru

Can a duck be dudified whilte it types strongly?

This most likely depends on whether you know Stanley Kutype’s film:
“Dr. Strangeduck: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the

On 17.05.2008 12:00, Marc H. wrote:

But if you are frequenting rubyist circles then it shouldn’t be any
problem to just rely on duck typing and stop worrying.

Can a duck be dudified whilte it types strongly?

What is the sound of one duck typing?

On 17.05.2008 09:10, Robert D. wrote:

Dear native speakers

I have been quite bothered with the usage of the word “dude” recently.
Not that I dislike the word itself but I feel it should be reserved to
friends using it in a quite informal context.
Am I wrong and do I have to adapt or is there some kind of agreement
with my POV?

I would not use it on a regular basis - certainly not here. But then
again, I am not a native speaker. :slight_smile: It does feel a bit inappropriate
but maybe that’s just the age (my age, I mean). :wink:

Thanks in advantage

Have you been watching some tennis recently? :slight_smile:

Kind regards

robert

On Saturday 17 May 2008, Florian G. wrote:

On May 17, 2008, at 2:40 PM, Robert K. wrote:

On 17.05.2008 12:00, Marc H. wrote:

But if you are frequenting rubyist circles then it shouldn’t be
any problem to just rely on duck typing and stop worrying.

Can a duck be dudified whilte it types strongly?

What is the sound of one duck typing?

An what does the dude[1] himself think of all this?

[1] http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0003518/

“I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this
aggression will not stand, man.”

Michael

From: “Robert D.” [email protected]

Lots of funny stuff, I still do not know about Dude, I guess I will
just parse it but not output it I guess :wink:

Growing up in southern california, I heard “Dude” a lot. :slight_smile:

To my recollection it often took a form like:

“…dude! you gotta see this!”

or

“…there were these dudes at the beach last night who
had a whole stack of palettes and made a huge bonfire.”

also sometimes used in incredulity or dismay, such as in the
case where someone unwittingly committed a giant faux pas,
and/or upon hearing the telling of some particularly wild
event:

“…so rob threw the soup can, but his manager came around
the corner right then and it clocked him right in the face!”

“oh, duuude!”

“yeah, he got a bloody nose and rob got fired…”

Something like that :slight_smile:

Regards,

Bill

Lots of funny stuff, I still do not know about Dude, I guess I will
just parse it but not output it I guess :wink:
Thx folks

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Phillip G.
[email protected] wrote:

Robert D. wrote:
| Dear native speakers
|
| I have been quite bothered with the usage of the word “dude” recently.

A good translation of ‘dude’ would be ‘Kumpel’. A synonym something like
‘buddy’ or ‘pal’.

It was quite what I thought, although I would be honored to be called
dude by someone I have posted with for years now I dislike the idea of
being called Dude by someone whom I barely know.

I will put it this way, you should not call somebody dude unless you
have herded sheep with her ;). (Comes from a French idiomatic sentence
).
In future I will either undudiefy (spelling?) or ignore the post.
R.

http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Robert D. wrote:

I will put it this way, you should not call somebody dude unless you
have herded sheep with her ;).

Or, since we’re talking programmers, herded cats with her. :slight_smile:

On May 17, 2008, at 6:47 PM, Robert D. wrote:

I will put it this way, you should not call somebody dude unless you
have herded sheep with her ;). (Comes from a French idiomatic
sentence).

Cows, not sheep, i.e.:

“Avoir gardé les vaches ensemble” or not…

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Sun, 18 May 2008 01:59:34 +0900
Von: Petite A. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: Dude?

On May 17, 2008, at 6:47 PM, Robert D. wrote:

I will put it this way, you should not call somebody dude unless you
have herded sheep with her ;). (Comes from a French idiomatic
sentence).

Cows, not sheep, i.e.:

“Avoir gardé les vaches ensemble” or not…

… or tracked the bugs together ?

Best regards,

Axel

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Petite A.
[email protected] wrote:

On May 17, 2008, at 6:47 PM, Robert D. wrote:

I will put it this way, you should not call somebody dude unless you
have herded sheep with her ;). (Comes from a French idiomatic sentence).

Cows, not sheep, i.e.:

“Avoir gardé les vaches ensemble” or not…

You are the native speaker, but I know that my wife says “gardé les
chevres ensemble”, she is from Britany, maybe local differences?

PA.
http://alt.textdrive.com/nanoki/

http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

Ludwig Wittgenstein

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Phillip G.
[email protected] wrote:

Culture clash, really. The US (and especially California) are less
formal than Germany. Heck, English even dropped the ‘thou’, where as we
still have the ‘Sie’. :slight_smile:
Rather a generation clash, I used to life in the States and ind South
Africa about 20 to 15 years ago, dude was used between friends,
especially “Hey dude” with a big smile, I feel it is just too personal
:wink:

As I’ve remarked else where: The US and German cultures are significant
I am not German, I am only Austrian, as you might know we have some
culture clashes too :wink:
enough to make the differences all the more pronounced.

(Really, when calling a call center, I’m on a first-name basis with the
call agents in the US. :P)
They better call me Sir, as I do (unless it’s a lady ;).
Cheers
Robert

http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

Ludwig Wittgenstein

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Robert D. [email protected]
wrote:

“Avoir gardé les vaches ensemble” or not…

You are the native speaker, but I know that my wife says “gardé les
chevres ensemble”, she is from Britany, maybe local differences?

Dudes, Guys, Mecs
Cows, Sheep, Goats

Il s’agit de d’où on vient, n’est-ce pas?

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/