Forum: Rails deployment Braindead simple deployment for non-geeks? (shared hosting)

8194edd5ad2d97cac9d4f04d2595dfcc?d=identicon&s=25 Shanti Braford (sbraford)
on 2007-02-23 04:19
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a webhost that has gone the
extra mile to make deploying Rails apps braindead simple for non-geeks?

It's been a while since I've deployed a Rails app on a shared host.

A few ideal criteria:
* Not too expensive, though a bit more than a basic PHP host would be OK
* Many web-based control panels (i.e. to create databases, etc) - I know
most come with these but some are easier to use than others.

Any tips?

I'm thinking of the average non-techie, who would feel comfortable
installing WordPress, for example.

I.e. steps to install WordPress
1. Create a database via a web-based control panel
2. Upload the WordPress zip files to the server
3. Visit your website's URL in your browser, Click the Install Link
... profit! =)

I'd like to help a few non-techie friends deploy some Rails apps but I'm
afraid as soon as I mention mongrel clusters, FCGIs, proxying to port
3001, making sure they have the right gem dependencies, etc, etc their
eyes will glaze over =)  Reminds me of:
http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54

I think adding a "rake db:migrate" step wouldn't be too off putting...
has anyone hooked that up so it can be done web-based?  (seems possible
but I haven't thought through the implications too much.  obviously
you'd want to lock it down once the first migration was run)

Shanti Braford

http://onwebapps.com/
Hi Shanti,

Shanti Braford wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend
> a webhost that has gone the extra mile to make
> deploying Rails apps braindead simple for
> non-geeks?

I've been using a2hosting and have been very happy with their setup and
support.  I haven't used any other service for Rails so I can't compare
my
experience with them to any other provider's service.

> A few ideal criteria:
> * Not too expensive, though a bit more than a
> basic PHP host would be OK

I started with their month-to-month to try them out without a long-term
comittment.  That's $9.95/mo.  The price drops from there, depending on
the
length-of-contract.

> * Many web-based control panels (i.e. to create
> databases, etc)

Rails is already installed.  Their control panel includes phpMyAdmin
which
is what I used to create the database and run scripts to set up the
tables.
I had to enter a support ticket to have them put up Mongrel.  Took less
than
4 hrs. in my case to get the all-clear and the instructions to start /
stop
mongrel.  Overall, I've found their support very good.

They require PuTTY or equivalent to access your site for general stuff
like
creating your rails app structure.  Their cpanel includes a file manager
which I find handy from time to time for small file mods.  Mostly I use
Filezilla for FTPing the app files.

Overall, I'd recommend them for the non-geek audience you asked about.
I'd
been out of hands-on development for 15 years when I discovered Rails
and
decided to get back in.  I started with Instant Rails because that's
what I
could handle.  I've learned a lot over the past year or so about Ruby
and
Rails, but I still don't know Jack about setting up web servers,
databases,
etc..  Anyway, their offering has worked for me.

hth,
Bill
5bdc87afd3a04e41c5958631185568f3?d=identicon&s=25 maykelrr@speedyrails.com (Guest)
Hello Shanti,

I work at SpeedyRails, a hosting provider fully focused on Ruby on
Rails. Our service is fully managed, we do *all* the hard work for
you... if you need to host WordPress just request it and we will
install it for you :). We have very simple to use control panel mainly
designed to help our customers to deploy their sites with
capistrano... it's as easy as clicking a button to deploy your
application if you already have the application in the SVN repository
we create for each account.

My apologies for the "shameless" publicity, but I really don't know
details of other providers. If you are interested take a look at
www.speedyrails.com

Best regards
-Maykel
8194edd5ad2d97cac9d4f04d2595dfcc?d=identicon&s=25 Shanti Braford (sbraford)
on 2007-02-24 00:09
Maykel,

> ... it's as easy as clicking a button to deploy your
> application if you already have the application in the SVN repository
> we create for each account.

Brilliant!  Just what I am looking for.

> My apologies for the "shameless" publicity, but I really don't know
> details of other providers. If you are interested take a look at
> www.speedyrails.com

No problemo, was hoping a vendor or two would chime in plugging their
solution.

Cheers,

- Shanti
http://onwebapps.com/