I was wondering if anyone could recommend a webhost that has gone the
extra mile to make deploying Rails apps braindead simple for non-geeks?
It’s been a while since I’ve deployed a Rails app on a shared host.
A few ideal criteria:
- Not too expensive, though a bit more than a basic PHP host would be OK
- Many web-based control panels (i.e. to create databases, etc) - I know
most come with these but some are easier to use than others.
I’m thinking of the average non-techie, who would feel comfortable
installing WordPress, for example.
I.e. steps to install WordPress
- Create a database via a web-based control panel
- Upload the WordPress zip files to the server
- Visit your website’s URL in your browser, Click the Install Link
… profit! =)
I’d like to help a few non-techie friends deploy some Rails apps but I’m
afraid as soon as I mention mongrel clusters, FCGIs, proxying to port
3001, making sure they have the right gem dependencies, etc, etc their
eyes will glaze over =) Reminds me of:
I think adding a “rake db:migrate” step wouldn’t be too off putting…
has anyone hooked that up so it can be done web-based? (seems possible
but I haven’t thought through the implications too much. obviously
you’d want to lock it down once the first migration was run)