Forum: Ruby ruby coding guidelines?

06c75c9d101fba900ec91b3404da5203?d=identicon&s=25 Stefano Zacchiroli (Guest)
Is there in the Ruby community anything like "ruby coding convention"?

Google returns two interesting links:
-
http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/rw-cgi.rb?cmd=v...
- http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml#style

Are they "authoritative" for some meaning of the word? :)

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers.
96931bfe0c2948f47a98e15ae52e5637?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Carter (cdcarter)
On 1/21/07, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@bononia.it> wrote:

> --
> Stefano Zacchiroli -*- Computer Science PhD student @ Uny Bologna, Italy
> zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it} -%- http://www.bononia.it/zack/
> (15:56:48)  Zack: e la demo dema ?    /\    All one has to do is hit the
> (15:57:15)  Bac: no, la demo scema    \/    right keys at the right time

There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
those two put together are what most of the community uses
Hi --

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Chris Carter wrote:

> There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
> those two put together are what most of the community uses

I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it :-) as a
good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

David
On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:33:31AM +0900, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it :-) as a
> good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

That's indeed what I usually do, but a visible document on the net would
be far more reassuring for newbies willing to following the community
best-practices :)
Hi --

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:33:31AM +0900, dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>> I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it :-) as a
>> good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.
>
> That's indeed what I usually do, but a visible document on the net would
> be far more reassuring for newbies willing to following the community
> best-practices :)

Like I said, "also" :-)

David
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Chris Carter wrote:

> There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
> those two put together are what most of the community uses

There is also style guide on the RubyGarden wiki
(http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby) , but the wiki  doesn't seem to be
responding right now.

--
James Britt

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
  for machines to execute."
   - H. Abelson and G. Sussman
   (in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)