Forum: Ruby on Rails Sun + Ubuntu == good for Rails?

Joe Van D. (Guest)

anyone have any experiences running Sun hardware (maybe a T1000 or
2000) with Ubuntu with Rails?

Joe
Matt P. (Guest)
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:41:25PM -0700, Joe Van D. wrote:
> anyone have any experiences running Sun hardware (maybe a T1000 or
> 2000) with Ubuntu with Rails?

Ubuntu with Rails is a good combo.  Ubuntu with Sun hardware (X2[12]00
and
X4200, at any rate) is pretty good, too.  The T[12]000 are the
Niagara-based
systems, aren't they?  If so, they might be a bit finicky if there's
still
bugs to be ironed out in the kernel or glibc, but apart from that they
should work much like every other Ubuntu system -- that is, pretty well.

- Matt
Tom M. (Guest)
On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:25 PM, Matt P. wrote:

> bugs to be ironed out in the kernel or glibc, but apart from that they
> should work much like every other Ubuntu system -- that is, pretty
> well.

Niagara's are Sparc V9 binary compatible, so I'm not sure there will
be any
bugs to be ironed out.

--
-- Tom M.
Matthew P. (Guest)
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:42:20PM -0700, Tom M. wrote:
> Niagara's are Sparc V9 binary compatible, so I'm not sure there will
> be any
> bugs to be ironed out.

I saw David S. Miller's talk at LCA2006 on his work porting Linux to the
Niagara.  He'd spent over 6 months on it at that point, and that was
back in
January.  Perhaps you could run sparc *binaries* on the chip, but I
doubt
that the kernel is compatible (there's a lot more to a CPU than what
opcodes
it uses, but typically only the kernel deals with them).  Kernel bugs
also
tend to be the system-crashing sort, rather than app-crashing.

- Matt
Dick D. (Guest)
On 11/06/06, Tom M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > systems, aren't they?  If so, they might be a bit finicky if
> > there's still
> > bugs to be ironed out in the kernel or glibc, but apart from that they
> > should work much like every other Ubuntu system -- that is, pretty
> > well.
>
> Niagara's are Sparc V9 binary compatible, so I'm not sure there will
> be any
> bugs to be ironed out.

The Niagara multicore stuff needs Sol 10 or better.
Don't know why you would'nt stick with Solaris on that hardware,
there's a lot of really good stuff in the recent Solaris Express builds
(although Ubuntu is a decent Linux) and if you install pkg-get from
blastwave.org you'll have rails up and running in about 2 minutes.
Tom M. (Guest)
Good point, Matthew. When I read your post, I saw glibc but didn't
notice that you had mentioned kernel, and didn't consider the issue
myself.

--
-- Tom M.