Sun + Ubuntu == good for Rails?


#1

Hi,

anyone have any experiences running Sun hardware (maybe a T1000 or
2000) with Ubuntu with Rails?

Joe


#2

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:41:25PM -0700, Joe Van D. wrote:

anyone have any experiences running Sun hardware (maybe a T1000 or
2000) with Ubuntu with Rails?

Ubuntu with Rails is a good combo. Ubuntu with Sun hardware (X2[12]00
and
X4200, at any rate) is pretty good, too. The T[12]000 are the
Niagara-based
systems, aren’t they? If so, they might be a bit finicky if there’s
still
bugs to be ironed out in the kernel or glibc, but apart from that they
should work much like every other Ubuntu system – that is, pretty well.

  • Matt

#3

On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:25 PM, Matt P. wrote:

bugs to be ironed out in the kernel or glibc, but apart from that they
should work much like every other Ubuntu system – that is, pretty
well.

Niagara’s are Sparc V9 binary compatible, so I’m not sure there will
be any
bugs to be ironed out.


– Tom M.


#4

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:42:20PM -0700, Tom M. wrote:

Niagara’s are Sparc V9 binary compatible, so I’m not sure there will
be any
bugs to be ironed out.

I saw David S. Miller’s talk at LCA2006 on his work porting Linux to the
Niagara. He’d spent over 6 months on it at that point, and that was
back in
January. Perhaps you could run sparc binaries on the chip, but I
doubt
that the kernel is compatible (there’s a lot more to a CPU than what
opcodes
it uses, but typically only the kernel deals with them). Kernel bugs
also
tend to be the system-crashing sort, rather than app-crashing.

  • Matt

#5

On 11/06/06, Tom M. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

systems, aren’t they? If so, they might be a bit finicky if
there’s still
bugs to be ironed out in the kernel or glibc, but apart from that they
should work much like every other Ubuntu system – that is, pretty
well.

Niagara’s are Sparc V9 binary compatible, so I’m not sure there will
be any
bugs to be ironed out.

The Niagara multicore stuff needs Sol 10 or better.
Don’t know why you would’nt stick with Solaris on that hardware,
there’s a lot of really good stuff in the recent Solaris Express builds
(although Ubuntu is a decent Linux) and if you install pkg-get from
blastwave.org you’ll have rails up and running in about 2 minutes.


#6

Good point, Matthew. When I read your post, I saw glibc but didn’t
notice that you had mentioned kernel, and didn’t consider the issue
myself.


– Tom M.