Forum: Radiant CMS An Informal Contest

6ec6f77ea603dd75b3a7a7775b059e79?d=identicon&s=25 John W. Long (Guest)
Changeset 57 contains the following improvements:

  * Updated db/setup.rb. Option parsing has been improved and you can
now
    select a template for your new Radiant database.
  * Added an export controller to make it easier to create templates. It
    exports your database in YAML format. Simply hit /admin/export/.

http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/changeset/57

If you examine the db/templates directory now you will see a couple of
simple YAML templates which can be used to generate the initial database
for a Radiant install. I've included three default templates:

  1. An empty template (to create a blank database)
  2. A bare bones template (the same as what you have seen before)
  3. A styled blog template

I just finished coding option #3 today. It demonstrates a lot of the
advanced features of Radiant and also looks nice.

I would love to see more options for people just getting started with
Radiant. If you are a talented designer and I'd like to invite you to
participate in an informal contest of sorts. I'm looking for two basic
templates:

  * A blog template
  * A simple company web site template

Here's the catch: you can't use images in the design at all. (Since
Radiant doesn't have the attachments system yet it wouldn't make sense
to put a lot of additional images in the public/images directory.)

If you submit a template that I like it will have a shot at being
included in the core distribution.

The easiest way to create a template is to setup a Radiant database the
way you like it and then go to /admin/export/ to get the YAML for it.
Then take the YAML and paste it into a template file in the db/templates
directory. You will need to modify the generated YAML a bit, but it
should be enough to get you started.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
> The easiest way to create a template is to setup a Radiant database the
> way you like it and then go to /admin/export/ to get the YAML for it.
> Then take the YAML and paste it into a template file in the db/templates
> directory. You will need to modify the generated YAML a bit, but it
> should be enough to get you started.

I've just finished a template, and now I am having one hell of a [not]
good time trying to get the it to work.  I was wondering, why not just
use sql dumps for templates?
6e8cb4ca4aa7aac19e4d67051d3f0430?d=identicon&s=25 Bernard Yu (thebestsophist)
on 2006-06-30 09:11
Scratch that question, and answered it for myself.
Bernard Yu wrote:
> Scratch that question, and answered it for myself.

What was the answer? :-)

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
6e8cb4ca4aa7aac19e4d67051d3f0430?d=identicon&s=25 Bernard Yu (thebestsophist)
on 2006-06-30 22:16
John W. Long wrote:
> Bernard Yu wrote:
>> Scratch that question, and answered it for myself.
>>

> What was the answer? :-)
>
> --
> John Long
> http://wiseheartdesign.com

It'd be trouble for anyone trying to use a non-SQL database.  Though I
suppose that wouldn't really happen that often.

But for the .yml files, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the
thing to work properly and I haven't the foggiest clue why.  As it is,
I'm finishing with fixing some problems I didn't notice with the CSS
print file, and I'm not looking foward to going through and making it
pretty again.  it keeps coming up with yaml.rb errors every other line.
Aaf41dd75cc92e2921d0dbdb15bb100a?d=identicon&s=25 Pablo Ambrosio (Guest)
If you make it work, it would be nice if you can post your experience, I
haven't been trying lately but I couldn't get a template to work
neither.
6e8cb4ca4aa7aac19e4d67051d3f0430?d=identicon&s=25 Bernard Yu (thebestsophist)
on 2006-07-03 00:18
Well then, I'd like to submit a (company) website template of sorts for
the contest...
I present <a href="http://radtest.enguindesign.com">Handsome in
Blue</a>.
It's not just a blank template, it's a lesson of sorts as well for those
new to Radiant as well as managing websites.  The <a
href="http://enguindesign.com/sites/radiant-template/han...
is a heavy weighing in at 41k, but it has separate stylesheets for
screen, print, and handheld devices, (also has some goodies for text
browsers). It uses XHTML-Strict, the CSS validates beautifully, and
takes advantage of a lot of Radius's features.

-----
Excuse me while I sob like a little baby I figured it out...the hard
way. I got to thinking, this is Ruby...therefore spaces matter.  With
that in mind, I'll outline the structure of the yaml file.

name: [name of template]
records:
  Layouts:
    1:
      name: [name of layout]
      id: 1
      content: |
        This is where the body of your template goes the
        white space must be at least one space beyond
        the beginning of its container, and remember
        no indents that's cheating.
    2:
      name: [name of second layout]
      id: 2
      Content: |
  Snippets:
    1:
      name: [you get the point]
      id: 1
      content: |
  Pages:
    1:
      slug:
      title:
      breadcrumb:
      id:
      status_id:
      layout_id: [id of layout that should apply to it]
      parent_id: [id of parent]
  PageParts:
    1:
      name:
      page_id: [id of page this part applies to]
      id: 1
      content: |
        I hate myself, a lot
-----

You basically have to give the same level container the same ammount of
white-space (so "layouts," "Snippets," "Pages," and "PageParts" all have
2spaces, the ID numbers all have 4 spaces, etc).  Hopefully I explained
that well enough...once you figure it out, it's really easy.  Good luck!