Forum: Ruby on Rails Might be buying a Mac

C09a7adfa900a4b49939e65dd64f2a2a?d=identicon&s=25 Nathan P. Verni (Guest)
I might be buying a Mac tomorrow.  I checked out the new 13.3in MacBook
at the new Apple Store on 5th ave in NYC.  I'm torn between the smaller
MacBook and the MacBook Pro.  We have a pro at work and I'm not that
thrilled with the way it feels.  I like the keyboard much better on the
13inch.  However, I think doing development on that small of a screen
could get frustrating.  Any thoughts?  Also, any opinons on what specs
to get and is it better to buy lower in the store then upgrade ram and
stuff after?

Thanks,
Nathan
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-05-27 05:51
I got a 15" PB and it feels cramped. Thanks in part to the lower
resolution (compared to PC notebooks). But it does the job...

And, yeah, most everybody I know upgrades RAM from elsewhere - like
Crucial.

Joe
56493a3c223a155bbe2b44bdf55ef184?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Oligny (Guest)
On 26-May-06, at 10:46 PM, Nathan P. Verni wrote:
> I might be buying a Mac tomorrow.  I checked out the new 13.3in
> MacBook at the new Apple Store on 5th ave in NYC.  I'm torn between
> the smaller MacBook and the MacBook Pro.  We have a pro at work and
> I'm not that thrilled with the way it feels.  I like the keyboard
> much better on the 13inch.  However, I think doing development on
> that small of a screen could get frustrating.  Any thoughts?  Also,
> any opinons on what specs to get and is it better to buy lower in
> the store then upgrade ram and stuff after?
I've used a 12" G4 exclusively for a long time.  I always set Expose
show all windows to the upper right corner, and show Desktop to the
lower right corner.  I also use Launchbar (amazing) and hide the dock
off to the left.  These three things make it more than bearable for
me, and the small size is great for the backpack.

I just bought a 20" iMac tonight because I really needed something
faster than the G4 (several seconds to load a single photo is
painful!) and I'd like to wait until I hear the notebooks are running
a little cooler.  I'm pretty happy with it so far - I just wish it
wasn't so damned ugly.  (:

Good luck with your purchase - I'd get the smaller one myself.

-Mike
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
I use a 12" PowerBook. I just had a 19" monitor to it when needed.
Worked fine. Thinking about getting the black MacBook next since I got
a Mac Mini at home and using Subversion really allows me to work
wherever and on whatever my mood takes me.
The 12" didn't bother me at all though since I was just switching
between iTerm and TextMate.

On 26-May-06, at 11:10 PM, Jon Gretar Borgthorsson wrote:

> The 12" didn't bother me at all though since I was just switching
> between iTerm and TextMate.

I realize this is off topic, but don't you find iTerm painfully
slow?  I tried it three or four times and found the delay for a
character to appear after I pressed the key was greater than ssh
delay while connected across Canada...  holding down a key, I recall
characters appearing in spurts.  I don't want to start a huge debate,
but I'd love to hear if it's smooth for you / what you did to make it
so.
6c27f78ab0eee78732ae54e8b8718b84?d=identicon&s=25 David Felstead (Guest)
iTerm was the same for me (painfully slow) - I just use terminal with
the cmd-1 cmd-2 cmd-3 etc shortcuts to switch between windows.  Works
for me.  This is a powerbook G4 1.5GHz with 1GB of RAM, btw.

-DF
48b01d623385cfb71a464af7bc37d607?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Moulton (lordbodak)
on 2006-05-27 07:23
Mike Oligny wrote:
> I realize this is off topic, but don't you find iTerm painfully
> slow?  I tried it three or four times and found the delay for a
> character to appear after I pressed the key was greater than ssh
> delay while connected across Canada...  holding down a key, I recall
> characters appearing in spurts.  I don't want to start a huge debate,
> but I'd love to hear if it's smooth for you / what you did to make it
> so.

I'll jump in-- there is nothing slow about the 12" G4 with a RAM
upgrade.  Mine has 768MB and I don't have any of the sluggishness you
refer to.  However, with the stock 256MB it often was sluggish, and
things swapped out of RAM way too often.

I am seriously tempted by the new MacBook, but I don't want to give up
the portability of the 12" PB... so, it looks like I'll be a G4 user for
a long time.
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-05-27 07:44
I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine has. I
recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
delay between typed characters just became too intolerable. I use
"screen" on my remote Linux machines to switch between shells. The only
think I hate about Terminal is there's no scrollback when using screen
(there's probably some way to fix that).

Expose is a great. I also use (and like) Quicksilver - Launchbar sounds
like it does similar.

Joe
501dac4c25141b9ecffecf6819fe086b?d=identicon&s=25 Pawel Szymczykowski (makenai)
On 5/26/06, Joe <joe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine has. I
> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable. I use
> "screen" on my remote Linux machines to switch between shells. The only
> think I hate about Terminal is there's no scrollback when using screen
> (there's probably some way to fix that).

Don't forget that screen still has its own built-in scrollback buffer
with 'ctrl-a [', so it's not too bad. I'm using the same combination
of Terminal + screen, but it's not ideal in all situations. I tried
iTerm, but didn't like it very much. The configuration screens were
pretty confusing - and I could never quite figure out how to get it to
start up with the dimensions that I wanted it to every time. Yes, it
was also quite a bit more sluggish than Terminal.

Linux has dozens of decent tabbed terminal applications. Since
switching to a mac, it's the one thing I'm really missing. With all of
the great commercial and free applications in other areas on mac,
you'd think there would be a really good terminal app. Alas... :(

-Pawel
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-05-27 08:26
Pawel Szymczykowski wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Joe <joe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine has. I
>> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
>> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable. I use
>> "screen" on my remote Linux machines to switch between shells. The only
>> think I hate about Terminal is there's no scrollback when using screen
>> (there's probably some way to fix that).
>
> Don't forget that screen still has its own built-in scrollback buffer
> with 'ctrl-a [', so it's not too bad. I'm using the same combination
> of Terminal + screen, but it's not ideal in all situations. I tried
> iTerm, but didn't like it very much. The configuration screens were
> pretty confusing - and I could never quite figure out how to get it to
> start up with the dimensions that I wanted it to every time. Yes, it
> was also quite a bit more sluggish than Terminal.
>
> Linux has dozens of decent tabbed terminal applications. Since
> switching to a mac, it's the one thing I'm really missing. With all of
> the great commercial and free applications in other areas on mac,
> you'd think there would be a really good terminal app. Alas... :(
>
> -Pawel

I read xterm - available via DarwinPorts - is really good, but I
cancelled the installation after it was taking too long (many minutes
and it was downloading its fourth rather largish source file).

Joe
Eea3feaacbe44706164289d068d94828?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Michaux (Guest)
On 5/26/06, Michael Moulton <msmoulton@iname.com> wrote:
> Mike Oligny wrote:

> I am seriously tempted by the new MacBook, but I don't want to give up
> the portability of the 12" PB... so, it looks like I'll be a G4 user for
> a long time.

The new MacBook is only 13" and cheap.

Peter
C97f484b19bb441b0d44717f28cdadc9?d=identicon&s=25 Jean-Francois Mauguit (Guest)
Yep but its size is closer to the PB 15" than to the 12". It's due to
the builtin isight 16/10 screen.

HTH

Jef
94c40fd67ffecc80b479aa9d7df3c494?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan del Strother (Guest)
On 27 May 2006, at 06:44, Joe wrote:

> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine has. I
> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable.

You might try the latest source from their CVS - it's a little
unstable, but it's far, far faster.
024e4717cdf03bb03179a9594805431d?d=identicon&s=25 Pat Lynch (Guest)
I'm right behind you - I'll probably make an Apple purchase in June. I
am considering the Mac Mini and was hoping to use a 17inch flat screen
monitor that I have along with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Please let me know what you purchased and how pleased you are with it. I
presume you will be using it for RoR development.

Good luck,
Pat
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
Don't get the wireless keyboard and mouse. They really aren't any good
and remember that the wireless mouse from apple has only one button.
But I like the standard keyboard. Plus I have found that having
wireless laser mouse can be a little bit of an issue because it
consumes a lot of electricity. Especially bluetooth mice.
I really didn't like the Mighty Mouse either. Some people like it but
both the scroll and all other functions of it feel just a little bit
light. Just feels a bit wrong.

Look for the Philippe Starck mouse or something other that has ultra
light cables.

--
024e4717cdf03bb03179a9594805431d?d=identicon&s=25 Pat Lynch (Guest)
Thanks for the advice in regard to the wireless mouse and kb. I will
Joe wrote:
> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine has. I
> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable.

this is pretty funny. i remmeber sitting in the Hallway in 4th grade,
and there was some woman doing some sort of data entry on a IIe, and the
teacher came out and asked her how it was going and she said the delay
between typed characters was intolerable. and sometimes 2 or 3
characters wouldnt even show up. how fast is your mac again? :)

id suggest secureCRT on windows, or gnome-terminal. both are quite
nice..
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-05-30 07:24
Nathan P. Verni wrote:
> I might be buying a Mac tomorrow.  I checked out the new 13.3in MacBook
> at the new Apple Store on 5th ave in NYC.  I'm torn between the smaller
> MacBook and the MacBook Pro.  We have a pro at work and I'm not that
> thrilled with the way it feels.  I like the keyboard much better on the
> 13inch.  However, I think doing development on that small of a screen
> could get frustrating.  Any thoughts?

on OSX or windows yes..ive got fluxbox set to draw windows without
borders, firefox's userchrome.css to display buttons/tabs on the left
edge, and toolbar and menubar disabled in emacs. this 12" easily has
more room than the stock config of a typical 14 or 15" which is losing a
half in each for dock/taskbar, menubar, window border, statusbar,
location bar, 1 or 2 rows of button bar...

but yeah. i definitely plug in a huge LCD when at a table...when 19"s
are about 1/10th the price of a macbook, how could you not?
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-05-30 07:54
cdr  wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine has. I
>> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
>> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable.
>
> this is pretty funny. i remmeber sitting in the Hallway in 4th grade,
> and there was some woman doing some sort of data entry on a IIe, and the
> teacher came out and asked her how it was going and she said the delay
> between typed characters was intolerable. and sometimes 2 or 3
> characters wouldnt even show up. how fast is your mac again? :)
>
> id suggest secureCRT on windows, or gnome-terminal. both are quite
> nice..

Dude, hit up Google and you'll see it's a common complaint. My Mac is
plenty fast enough. And you're recommending Windows? WTF?

On 5/30/06, Joe <joe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dude, hit up Google and you'll see it's a common complaint. My Mac is
> plenty fast enough. And you're recommending Windows? WTF?

Don't feed the trolls.

-DF
Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 Dylan Stamat (Guest)
Been using both.
My MBP is in the shop (a *lot* of problems) and have been using my
friends
black MB.

I *love* the MB's keyboard.  It feels a lot more solid and responsive
than
the standard MBP and PB keyboards.
Also, the MB has a magnetized lid closure system, which is soooo much
better
than the MBP / PB latch system.
These two things (as well as the plastic build actually), make the MB
seem a
lot tougher, which is nice.  I'd compare it to the feel of a Thinkpad I
recently retired, which is the only laptop I'd recommend aside from an
Apple
one.

However, I still love the 15" screen of the MBP... and, the MBP has a
lot
better graphics, if that matters to you at all.

I think both models are awesome.  I only wish they made an MBP with the
same
structure as the MB.  This would be the ultimate laptop :)
39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
Pat Lynch wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the advice in regard to the wireless mouse and kb. I will
> follow it.
> Cheers
I've had a contrary experience with my wireless mouse / keyboard combo.
I couldn't live without them, and the mouse is rechargable. :) I'm not
sure if it would work on OS X though (since I haven't tried it). They
claim that it will, and it came with drivers. Logitech® MX?1000 Laser
Cordless Mouse
(http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details...).
This is hands down, the most comfortable mouse I've ever played with. If
you doubt it, go to the local electronics store and check it out. :)

Wireless keyboards are a dime a dozen, and I've had mine for three
months and still haven't replaced the "included" battery set that came
with it. :: shrug :: I hope to be trying them with a Mac Mini within the
next few months and will report.

-Curtis
C29d9db03853958c4de5ee6b06edd39a?d=identicon&s=25 Nicolas Buet (Guest)
Don't know much about macs, but if you buy a laptop, you can safely
stick to
wired mouse. On my laptop, I use a standard logitech optical mouse (
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details...).
It's cheap, small and easy to pack when you travel. For my desktops, I
use a
mx700 and a mx1000. I am not really satisfied with the plastic of the
mx1000, and I would rather advise  a mx700.
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-05-30 21:41
> I think both models are awesome.  I only wish they made an MBP with the
> same
> structure as the MB.  This would be the ultimate laptop :)

this exists. its the MSI MS-1058. except youll have to make some
compromises. like getting an additional row of page{up,down,home,end}
keys along the right edge for quick blog/code/terminal navigation
without needing an extra hand for a modifier key, an extra mouse button,
a solid magnesium enclosure, a 64bit chip instead of 32, no parts
included except the screen and mainboard so youll have to buy them from
newegg, click them in yourself, and spend about $999 total instead of
$2499. so yeah, i can see why youd want to get a mac instead ;)
FinalCutPro is just SO_COOL and doesnt run well on pirated OSX. oh and
can't forget about TextMate..
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 5/26/06, Jon Gretar Borgthorsson <jon.borgthorsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use a 12" PowerBook. I just had a 19" monitor to it when needed.
> Worked fine. Thinking about getting the black MacBook next since I got
> a Mac Mini at home and using Subversion really allows me to work
> wherever and on whatever my mood takes me.

I've been thinking about getting a Mac Mini (to replace an aging
Thinkpad T30 of all things).  I don't really need a laptop, as I can
leave a monitor at home and work, and I rarely if ever travel.  My
intention would be to dual boot Win XP and OS X.

I've heard, however, that the fan noise from the Mac Mini can be
pretty obnoxious.  Do you have any problems with this?  Do you find
your mini to be significantly louder than your average laptop?

One negative that I've found with the Mini specs is that all of the
HDDs are 5400 rpm.  I realize that higher speed means more heat, which
translates into more cooling noise, but I think I'd still be looking
to rip out whatever HDD it came with and putting something better in.
Do Macs ship with a complete copy of the OS installation, so that I
could easily start from bare hardware?

Forgive my naivety.  The last Mac I owned was a 68030 Motorola clone
that ran System 7, LinuxPPC and BeOS.  i.e. It's been a while.

-- James
On May 30, 2006, at 1:27 PM, James Ludlow wrote:

> Do Macs ship with a complete copy of the OS installation, so that I
> could easily start from bare hardware?

Yes. :-)

Free development tools too.

--
-- Tom Mornini
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)

Regarding the HD. Yup. It's not nice. You could always get yourself an
external SATA drive and that would be faster than anything.

On 5/30/06, James Ludlow <jamesludlow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive my naivety.  The last Mac I owned was a 68030 Motorola clone
> that ran System 7, LinuxPPC and BeOS.  i.e. It's been a while.
>

> -- James

5db037676defee3a41c1ed9ac2fb15c3?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Larson (Guest)
Don't hesitate just do it I love my MacTEL - I just got the MacBook
-- I have a mini (intel) I'll sale you too

chris
Cfda8d3a956b6bf4b73f8fc2132da051?d=identicon&s=25 Kenneth Liu (Guest)
Hi Nathan -

I have both a 12" iBook G4 and a 15" PB G4 (without the newer hi-res
screen).  Having spent a good part of a flight this weekend doing
development on the iBook, I can say it's pretty frustrating working on
such a small screen.  Granted, the new MB has a bigger screen and higher
res, so it may be less constraining, but personally I wouldn't want to
use a screen smaller than 15" for extended development.  Then again, I
usually use a 20" Apple Cinema Display for development, so maybe I am
just used to working on a big screen.  If you are planning on using the
13" with an external monitor most of the time, then you might be ok.

Another issue with the MB is the glossy screen, which is an option on
the MBP.  I think the glossy screen might be great for movies and
photos, but I think the matte screen will be easier on the eyes after
many hours of looking at code.  Again, an external monitor would
probably make this a moot point.

If you have to make a tradeoff between options, I'd say go with more RAM
over faster processor speed.  OS X is pretty RAM hungry.  Go with
Crucial for the RAM and install it yourself, you can save 50% or more
over buying from Apple, and it's the exact same hardware.

My ideal setup is to have a loaded laptop with a big external monitor,
keyboard, and mouse.  Don't get the Apple peripherals, they're not so
good.  I have a matias tactilepro keyboard (clicky IBM-like keys) with a
Logitech MX Laser 1000 mouse.  Contrary to what a different poster
mentioned, the Logitech wireless laser mouse (as opposed to red LED) has
excellent battery life.  I charge it once every two weeks or so of heavy
use, compared to my previous Logitech wireless (an MX 700 which uses a
red LED instead of a laser), which I had to charge once every two or
three days.

I use a Microsoft wireless laptop mouse when out and about with my
laptop, it's very portable and uses a little wireless USB dongle.  Using
the touch pad for a long time hurts my wrists.  Had it for months and
haven't had to replace the AA battery yet.

Ken
A2b2f4ee23989dc68529baef9cbddcd6?d=identicon&s=25 Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov (Guest)
On 30-mei-2006, at 7:15, cdr wrote:

> Joe wrote:
>> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine
>> has. I
>> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except the
>> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable.

Feels OK to me both on my Titanium 867and on the Quad G5

--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl
>> Joe wrote:
>>> I think iTerm is slow regardless of how much memory the machine
>>> has. I
>>> recently switched from it back to Terminal. I liked iTerm, except
>>> the
>>> delay between typed characters just became too intolerable.
>
> Feels OK to me both on my Titanium 867and on the Quad G5

Mine too, Titanium 867, so definitely not the fastest machine around
these days.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
A285d761191421d85f0b7c913ace8420?d=identicon&s=25 lee shang (Guest)
on 2006-05-31 16:06
mac miniæ??ä¹?æ ·?å?æ ¸ç??好å???
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 5/30/06, James Ludlow <jamesludlow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive my naivety.  The last Mac I owned was a 68030 Motorola clone
> that ran System 7, LinuxPPC and BeOS.  i.e. It's been a while.

Thanks for the advice to everyone who originally responded to this.  I
went ahead and ordered a Mac Mini (Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM,
100 GB 5400 rpm SATA).  So far so good.  I still need to pick out a
decent LCD monitor, but it's great that the keyboard and mouse from my
PC just worked when I plugged them in.

It's dead silent.  The fan kicked in for about 5 seconds when I
upgraded the firmware, and it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.  But
otherwise I can't even tell that it's on.

OS X seems pretty cool so far.  I'm reading "Mac OS X Tiger for Unix
Geeks" which is a nice guide.  There are a couple of things that I
haven't been able to figure out though.  These are just minor
annoyances, but perhaps someone has an answer.

1. How can I set the default view for the Finder?  It remembers that I
want a list view for a specific folder, but I can't find any default
setting.
2. Is it possible to resize a window without having to use the
bottom-right corner?  I'm so used to being able to resize from any
edge.  Is there a key combination that will enable this?

I downloaded the 30 day trial for TextMate.  After going through the
manual and the tutorial I bought a license for it.  This could be the
first text editor in 10+ years that gets me away from vi.

Thanks again.
-- James
B20f60d4dae0d5f372c73caf1418565a?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Stirman (stirman)
on 2006-06-09 22:25
> 1. How can I set the default view for the Finder?  It remembers that I
> want a list view for a specific folder, but I can't find any default
> setting.

In Finder, hit command-, to open prefs, and there's a drop down labeled,
"New Finder Windows Open:", and you can select a location there.

> 2. Is it possible to resize a window without having to use the
> bottom-right corner?  I'm so used to being able to resize from any
> edge.  Is there a key combination that will enable this?

Nope... that's the only way to re-size windows, minus the buttons on the
top left (minimize and toggle).

> I downloaded the 30 day trial for TextMate.  After going through the
> manual and the tutorial I bought a license for it.  This could be the
> first text editor in 10+ years that gets me away from vi.

That's exactly how I felt, and the more you learn about it, the more you
will love it.  It "feels" like a simple text-editor, but there tons of
useful features, without the bloat.

-stirman
On 6/9/06, James Ludlow <jamesludlow@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Is it possible to resize a window without having to use the
> bottom-right corner?  I'm so used to being able to resize from any
> edge.  Is there a key combination that will enable this?

Nobb. But you get used to this and won't find it any worse after a
while. Same time you will stop using applications full screen. :)
Check out
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp...
It's got a few nice tips.

> I downloaded the 30 day trial for TextMate.  After going through the
> manual and the tutorial I bought a license for it.  This could be the
> first text editor in 10+ years that gets me away from vi.

Don't forget to subscribe to the screencast at
http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2005/12/16/screencast/
Also some other videos linked there. It's pretty wild what TextMate can
do.

> Thanks again.
> -- James

119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
> On 6/9/06, James Ludlow <jamesludlow@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. Is it possible to resize a window without having to use the
> > bottom-right corner?  I'm so used to being able to resize from any
> > edge.  Is there a key combination that will enable this?
>
> Nobb. But you get used to this and won't find it any worse after a
> while. Same time you will stop using applications full screen. :)
> Check out http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp...
> It's got a few nice tips.

I hate using applications full-screen, so that's not really an issue.
The problem is that resizing a window on the right side of the screen
takes more effort than one on the left side. I have to resize the
window and then drag it back to the right (or bottom).  In other
window managers I simply have to grab the left edge of the window and
drag it to the right.

For windows in the top-left corner of the screen, resizing from the
bottom-right corner makes perfect sense.  For windows in the
bottom-right corner of the screen, resizing takes twice as long as it
should (and even then you're only able to guess at the size you really
want since you have to move the window to get it back into the
corner).

Again, this is not a crisis.  It's just an annoyance.  If this is the
worst thing that I can say against OS X after the first week, I'd say
that I've got a winner on my hands.

-- James
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
On 6/9/06, James Ludlow <jamesludlow@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hate using applications full-screen, so that's not really an issue.
> The problem is that resizing a window on the right side of the screen
> takes more effort than one on the left side. I have to resize the
> window and then drag it back to the right (or bottom).  In other
> window managers I simply have to grab the left edge of the window and
> drag it to the right.

I know. But I promise that this will stop bugging you. I usually only
resize windows for the first time I start an application. Most apps
should hold that size afterwards.

> For windows in the top-left corner of the screen, resizing from the
> bottom-right corner makes perfect sense.  For windows in the
> bottom-right corner of the screen, resizing takes twice as long as it
> should (and even then you're only able to guess at the size you really
> want since you have to move the window to get it back into the
> corner).

Linux actually has a great way of doing this. Every window is split in
a 3x3 grid. When you hald down ALT+CTRL those grids become resize
hotspots. So you don't have to move the cursor to the edge but instead
just into the general location of the window.

> Again, this is not a crisis.  It's just an annoyance.  If this is the
> worst thing that I can say against OS X after the first week, I'd say
> that I've got a winner on my hands.

I think this covers how most feel
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3951/osxsatisfa...