Forum: Ruby on Rails text_field_with_auto_complete

56493a3c223a155bbe2b44bdf55ef184?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Oligny (Guest)
I am having some trouble using `text_field_with_auto_complete' in
Firefox.  For some reason, the drop-down list is being rendered
behind other table elements.

Firefox (broken): http://schema.ca/broke.png
Safari: http://schema.ca/safari_works.png

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of this problem, and what I might be
able to do to work around it?

Thanks,
-Mike
316c03a99e8ed311e5462d94f085fc2e?d=identicon&s=25 John Ivanoff (Guest)
Is the text field and the "mike oligny" box in a div? or diffrent
divs? or a table?

john
On 23-May-06, at 9:08 AM, John Ivanoff wrote:

> Is the text field and the "mike oligny" box in a div? or diffrent
> divs? or a table?
>
> john

hmm.,.  they're both in tables.  I have a list of orders - each order
expands to show details (currently a list of items on the order, and
a list of comments associated with the order.) - at the bottom of the
items and comments there are fields to add new item / comment.

It seems like anything in my nested tables appear over top of the
auto_complete drop-down options.  Perhaps it is related to them being
inserted by rjs?

I would love to hear any ideas on how I could simplify this, perhaps
the nested tables are the problem.  For what I just explained, I have:

	 list.rhtml - opens main table (including widths) for concise list
of order rows, renders partial _order
	_order.rhtml - shows one order tr and a few hidden tr's for the
collapsed details and respective forms
	show_order_detail.rjs - inserts the partials listed below and
toggles their visibility

for the order items:

	_order_item.rhtml
	_order_item_form.rhtml
	save_order_item.rjs

for the comments (and other details):
	_order_detail.rhtml
	_order_comment_form.rhtml
	save_order_comment.rjs

I could have used yet another set of partials for table headings but
it seems like a lot of files to me...

Also, I'm using :toggle_appear because it Just Worked, but I think I
will have to find another way as the entire rjs file is being
processed on hides too.  (data is being updated from server before
being hidden).  Perhaps I could put some sort of condition in my RJS
file?  I'm not sure how I would check if the user is expanding or
collapsing using :toggle_appear.

thanks in advance,
-Mike
On 23-May-06, at 10:25 AM, Mike Oligny wrote:

> bottom of the items and comments there are fields to add new item /
> comment.

I rearranged the table layout and removed a level or two and it seems
to be working properly now.  (drop down appearing on top of other
table elements).  Stuff doesn't line up exactly as before but I think
I can get it to...  anyway, thanks for your reply - and I'm still
curious I'm doing this all a really dumb way.