Forum: Ruby on Rails armageddon vs. polling for shared resources, ajax, stale bro

Eea3feaacbe44706164289d068d94828?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Michaux (Guest)

I am using AJAX so much that I never refresh the entire webpage for
the admin side of a webapp. If two people are viewing the same data
and one person makes a change then I want the change to show up in the
other person's page.

I can have the client poll the server every two seconds to look for
changes.

I'm not really interested in Comet for keeping a connection open
between the client and server.

On the rails-core mailing list I read about armageddon and the use of
Flash for real sockets so the server can push data to the client. That
seems great but I'm wary of using Flash at all partly because I don't
know much about it and partly because I believe in sticking to
webstandards like HTML, CSS and JavaScript. A future cell phone is
more likely to have these three than having Flash. Are these worries
unjustified? Will Rails sites using armageddon have to pay money to
Macromedia? How many months until armageddon is available?

Thanks,
Peter
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
You can use today armageddon-like technologies and you need to know
nothing
about flash:

http://www.aflax.org/examples/sockets/sockets.html

Disadvantage (requires flash 8, there other solutions buy they are all
not
so easy to integrate)

and you only have to pay money to macromedia if you buy their tools to
create flashy content (or license the sourcecode of the flashplayer)

regards
Roberto
On 4/26/06, Roberto Saccon <rsaccon@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use today armageddon-like technologies and you need to know nothing
> about flash:
>
> http://www.aflax.org/examples/sockets/sockets.html
>
> Disadvantage (requires flash 8, there other solutions buy they are all not
> so easy to integrate)

Thanks for the info. Do you mean the other solutions require flash < 8?

Peter