Forum: Ruby on Rails Suddenly a Blank Page

5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Richard Williams (Guest)
This is apache/fcgi/rails/firefox.

When using a rails app we have been experiencing sudden blank pages in
the browser.

We show an model "new object" page and start changing stuff and all of a
sudden the page will be erased to blank!

Any idea what could cause something like this?
22ff4abebc9bfd299524bb14449d95dc?d=identicon&s=25 Erik van Oosten (Guest)
I experienced the same when I was trying to call a partial that did not
exist.

     Erik.

Richard Williams schreef:
54532f023496410e0d7b1add5561ba45?d=identicon&s=25 Manuel Holtgrewe (Guest)
Am 23.02.2006 um 16:37 schrieb Richard Williams:

> This is apache/fcgi/rails/firefox.
>
> When using a rails app we have been experiencing sudden blank pages in
> the browser.
>
> We show an model "new object" page and start changing stuff and all
> of a
> sudden the page will be erased to blank!
>
> Any idea what could cause something like this?

If you're running WEBrick, try to remove the ruby session files in /tmp.

*m
A8d75ad278b9738490449e73996569e4?d=identicon&s=25 Fredrik (Guest)
on 2006-02-23 19:59
Manuel Holtgrewe wrote:
> Am 23.02.2006 um 16:37 schrieb Richard Williams:
>
>> This is apache/fcgi/rails/firefox.
>>
>> When using a rails app we have been experiencing sudden blank pages in
>> the browser.
>>
>> We show an model "new object" page and start changing stuff and all
>> of a
>> sudden the page will be erased to blank!
>>
>> Any idea what could cause something like this?
>
> If you're running WEBrick, try to remove the ruby session files in /tmp.
>
> *m

I saw this when switching to DB driven sessions in the environment.rb.
It worked for a while and then all of a sudden, everything was blank. I
turned it off for the moment (back to /tmp) and it is all good. Sorry,
no solution.

Fredrik
A3e1e545e1fc4c7703f2edd7d9807dfe?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Removing the session files worked for me...I had to
do it after switching versions and port for mysql.
Presumably old connection info was in sesion files.

>>> sudden the page will be erased to blank!
>>>
>>> Any idea what could cause something like this?
>>
>> If you're running WEBrick, try to remove the ruby session files in /tmp.

89441a6c74647d292f5cc951eae24cfa?d=identicon&s=25 Jack Christensen (Guest)
Richard Williams wrote:

Today, I had a problem with sessions that caused that problem. The
session table you can create with rake will use a TEXT column for data,
this tops out at 64KB. I changed this to LONGTEXT and the problem went
away.

--
Jack Christensen
jackc@hylesanderson.edu
On Thursday, February 23, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Richard Williams wrote:

>--
>Posted with http://DevLists.com.  Sign up and save your time!

When this happens I can move to a different page and then back and
everything seems to be ok then.
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2006-02-28 11:18
Richard Williams wrote:
> This is apache/fcgi/rails/firefox.
>
> When using a rails app we have been experiencing sudden blank pages in
> the browser.
>
> We show an model "new object" page and start changing stuff and all of a
> sudden the page will be erased to blank!
>
> Any idea what could cause something like this?

Do the pages remain blank, or do they work after reloading? I have this
problem on ruby-forum.com (using memcached sessions).
On Tuesday, February 28, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Andreas S. wrote:

>Do the pages remain blank, or do they work after reloading? I have this
>problem on ruby-forum.com (using memcached sessions).
>
>--

Once they are reloaded they work fine.

More info:  This usually happens while data is being entered into one
particular page (the page that is used most often in the app).  You will
be entering data normally then BAM a blank page.  Weird
On 2/23/06, Fredrik <ruby@windstreak.com> wrote:
> I saw this when switching to DB driven sessions in the environment.rb.
> It worked for a while and then all of a sudden, everything was blank. I
> turned it off for the moment (back to /tmp) and it is all good. Sorry,
> no solution.

We've seen behaviour in development mode where an application using
DB-backed sessions will suddenly fail because it tries to revert to
pstore sessions - production mode fixes this though. This behaviour
was also in Rails of yore, so it might've been fixed, but the
description matches what you've got, Fredrik.

- james