Forum: Ruby on Rails database.yml and remote mysql database

3b7db006661fdb1de2b6299b000f7f4c?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie B. (beachguy82)
on 2006-01-17 15:17
I can't seem to connect to a remote database.  Here is what I've tried.
the database,username,password, and host have been changed to protect
the innocent.

development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: database
  username: username
  password: password
  host: host
  port: 3306

Here is the error
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load': syntax error on line 11, col 2:
`  password: password' (ArgumentError)

I've checked to make sure that the username,password,database, and host
are correct. Can anyone help?
Alex Young (Guest)
charlie bowman wrote:
>   port: 3306
>
> Here is the error
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load': syntax error on line 11, col 2:
> `  password: password' (ArgumentError)
>
> I've checked to make sure that the username,password,database, and host
> are correct. Can anyone help?

First, check the leading space isn't a tab (caught me out more than
once...), then check there aren't any yaml-special characters in the
username or the password...  Can't think of any other likely issues
without more info.
Damon Clinkscales (Guest)
charlie bowman <cbowmanschool@...> writes:

> I can't seem to connect to a remote database.

charlie,

try typing it again in a new file.  No tabs, no pasted characters.
Should parse.

-damon
http://damonclinkscales.com/
Saiho Yuen (Guest)

you can try this:

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(:adapter =>
"mysql", :host => "1.2.3.4", :port => 1234, :database
=> "dbName", :username => "user", :password => "pwd")

hope this will help

Saiho

--- charlie bowman <cbowmanschool@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   password: password
> are correct. Can anyone help?
>
> --

If God really exists, I would like to
know what the dinosaurs have done to
deserve their extinction.

Water is unknown to fishes,
until they discover air.

http://www.geocities.com/sayoyo/

http://mail.yahoo.com
3b7db006661fdb1de2b6299b000f7f4c?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie B. (beachguy82)
on 2006-01-17 15:58
Thank you! I use a tab stop of 2 to seperate the values from the keys
and that broke the yaml. Is that norman?  Can you never use tabs in
yaml?

Damon Clinkscales wrote:
> charlie bowman <cbowmanschool@...> writes:
>

>> I can't seem to connect to a remote database.
>
> charlie,
>
> try typing it again in a new file.  No tabs, no pasted characters.
> Should parse.
>
> -damon
> http://damonclinkscales.com/
Will Briggs (Guest)
Any decent text editor should give you the option to convert tabs to
spaces.  Use it!  Tab characters are interpreted differently than
spaces, so
it will cause Rails to barf on your YAML if you include tabs.

-Will
Alex Young (Guest)
Never.  Check http://www.yaml.org/faq.html :-)