Are we dying?

Hi,

if one subtracts [ANN] postings during the last few weeks traffic here
seems to have plummeted. Are there any obvious reasons I might be
overlooking?

Btw. I recall we once had long term statistics about posting
frequencies etc. Is there anybody out there still generating those?

Kind regards

robert

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Robert K.

if one subtracts [ANN] postings during the last few weeks traffic here
seems to have plummeted. Are there any obvious reasons I might be
overlooking?

Matz said he supported switching off the bridge between the forum and
the list, unless the spam coming from the forum was taken care of. I
guess they did switched it off, and it seems that most of the traffic
was coming from the forum :frowning:

Jesus.

I was actually thinking the same thing myself. In fact, there has been
10X the traffic on the XSL list I’m on and trust me that’s usually one
of the slower lists. :wink: I do wonder if it is because school is almost
finished, so we don’t have as many new people trying out Ruby.

Wayne

Date: Mon 31 Mar 14 05:20:00PM +0200

Quoting Robert K. ([email protected]):

if one subtracts [ANN] postings during the last few weeks traffic here
seems to have plummeted. Are there any obvious reasons I might be
overlooking?

During the last months, a few people posted lots of questions, almost
all of which appeared not to have been researched enough by the
questioner. My personal opinion is that at least three of the names
used were from the same individual.

If you take away those questions, not much remained.

I would never have asked those people to leave - I want to be clear
about this. But the list is a much more livable community now. That
sort of questioning just for the sake of it has distanced several
contributors. Again, this is according to my personal opinion.

Everybody is free to join, by using a real e-mail address. People with
enough goodwill can find this list. With time, real questions
motivated by concrete needs will show up again.

Carlo

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Quintus [email protected]
wrote:

I’d however like a definite answer on this,
as it may as well just be some technical issue coincidenting with Matz’
request for removing the bridge. Just as we had for the comp.lang.ruby
usenet group disconnection.

Yes, a public announcement would be in order if the bridge has been
torn down. Since I can remember having seen one and usually there is
one in such cases I suspected a different cause. Let’s see whether
someone maintaining the bridge comments.

Kind regards

robert

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Avdi G. [email protected]
wrote:

Personally, if this is the case I’m thrilled, and I hope the change
“sticks”. Ever since it was first plugged in, the web forum has been the
source of the lowest-quality “please do my homework for me” traffic on this
list. It’s a big part of why I don’t participate as much as I used to.

/end crotchety oldster rant.

I guess you are right. But those were the questions that I was able to
answer :D.
I don’t do much Ruby at work, and I don’t have much time recently for
side projects. At times, this list has been my only way of practicing
Ruby somewhat (I don’t like web forums), so I miss it, even the low
quality questions.

But I agree with you, and I’d like to see more discussions about
interesting topics, along with some newbie questions so I can feel
useful :).

Can we do something?

Jesus.

Am 31.03.2014 20:51, schrieb Carlo E. Prelz:

Everybody is free to join, by using a real e-mail address. People with
enough goodwill can find this list. With time, real questions
motivated by concrete needs will show up again.

Actually I second that. There came quite a lot of, well, uninteresting
content from ruby-forum.com. Id however like a definite answer on this,
as it may as well just be some technical issue coincidenting with Matz
request for removing the bridge. Just as we had for the comp.lang.ruby
usenet group disconnection.

Carlo

Valete,
Marvin

Blog: http://www.quintilianus.eu

I will reject HTML emails. | Ich akzeptiere keine HTML-Nachrichten.

Use GnuPG for mail encryption: | GnuPG fr Mail-Verschlsselung:
http://www.gnupg.org | The GNU Privacy Guard

On 2014-03-31 11:20, Robert K. wrote:

Hi! My heartfelt thanks for starting this thread.

First, a quick introduction: I’m a long-term sysadmin/scripter, but
relatively new to Ruby. Had heard about it for the better part of a
decade, but only last year really dug into it and realized how truly
awesome it is; I’ve now made the switch from P.* to Ruby. That being
said, after I subscribed – which was no mean feat (see below) – I was
worried this list was dead. Glad to hear that its demise “has been
greatly exaggerated.”

But a few things that I, as a newbie, may have insight into that you
old-timers don’t:

  1. It’s not really clear what the mailing list is vs. what the web forum
    is, at least, from Mailing Lists
    . A bit more verbosity there would probably be helpful in landing new
    subscribers.

  2. It’s hard to subscribe to the mailing list. First, there’s the
    link to the forum, with no discernible differentiation from the mailing
    list. Next, there’s the web form to subscribe with… that doesn’t
    work. (I’ve tried with both my Google and personal accounts – no
    soup.) I humbly submit that making the manual method to subscribe be
    listed first.

  3. IMHO, I might also throw some verbiage in about what Ruby is, and how
    it differs from Rails. While it’s obvious to us, that’s only because
    we have our hands dirty. But, to the uninitiated, Ruby/Rails suffers
    much the same confusion as Java/Javascript. Explaining which someone
    wants to subscribe to from the get-go would probably be rather helpful.
    (Indeed, just a couple days ago, I directed someone from the Rails list
    to ruby-talk).

Lastly, speaking as a sysadmin, I think Ruby has an image issue: people
do confuse it with rails; people don’t know how awesome a scripting
language it is. In a time when Perl is moribund-at-best, and Ruby does
so many things so well (e.g., it’s the first truly enjoyable OOP
exposure I’ve had), it might be handy if folks took time to perhaps put
pen to paper, and write an article or two for (say) Linux Magazine, or
their ilk.

$.02, YMMV, etc.,

-Ken

All responses from the mailing list do show up in the forum. This post
tests the reverse direction (forum -> mailing list).

Cheers

robert

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Robert K.
[email protected] wrote:

someone maintaining the bridge comments.
Apparently traffic from the mailing list reaches the forum but not in
the other direction. I posted about an hour ago but the message did
not yet show up on the mailing list:

https://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/4486783#1141684

Kind regards

robert

On 2014-03-31 11:20, Robert K. wrote:

Hi! My heartfelt thanks for starting this thread.

You’re welcome!

  1. It’s not really clear what the mailing list is vs. what the web forum is,
    at least, from Mailing Lists . A
    bit more verbosity there would probably be helpful in landing new
    subscribers.

Maybe you can add this yourself. Since you have your experience
freshly in mind you may come up with a better explanation than the
“old timers”. There is a section on contributing:
https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/about/website/

  1. It’s hard to subscribe to the mailing list. First, there’s the link to
    the forum, with no discernible differentiation from the mailing list. Next,
    there’s the web form to subscribe with… that doesn’t work. (I’ve tried
    with both my Google and personal accounts – no soup.) I humbly submit that
    making the manual method to subscribe be listed first.

These two items above are really valuable feedback! Thank you for
that! I am not sure where to report the mailing list subscription
issues - maybe the contribution site helps here as well?

  1. IMHO, I might also throw some verbiage in about what Ruby is, and how it
    differs from Rails. While it’s obvious to us, that’s only because we have
    our hands dirty. But, to the uninitiated, Ruby/Rails suffers much the same
    confusion as Java/Javascript. Explaining which someone wants to subscribe
    to from the get-go would probably be rather helpful. (Indeed, just a couple
    days ago, I directed someone from the Rails list to ruby-talk).

I am really not sure how we would manage to do this. If Rails is the
“killer app” for Ruby and most people come to Ruby via that road I
guess it will be difficult to change the public recognition -
especially as non marketing pro with only so much time. I agree it
would be desirable to get more people to know Ruby independent of
Rails and for all the other nice features.

Lastly, speaking as a sysadmin, I think Ruby has an image issue: people do
confuse it with rails; people don’t know how awesome a scripting language
it is. In a time when Perl is moribund-at-best, and Ruby does so many
things so well (e.g., it’s the first truly enjoyable OOP exposure I’ve had),
it might be handy if folks took time to perhaps put pen to paper, and write
an article or two for (say) Linux Magazine, or their ilk.

As said, changing an image is not that easy.

Kind regards

robert

Am 01.04.2014 18:24, schrieb Robert K.:

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Ken D’Ambrosio [email protected] wrote:

  1. It’s hard to subscribe to the mailing list. First, there’s the link to
    the forum, with no discernible differentiation from the mailing list. Next,
    there’s the web form to subscribe with… that doesn’t work. (I’ve tried
    with both my Google and personal accounts – no soup.) I humbly submit that
    making the manual method to subscribe be listed first.

These two items above are really valuable feedback! Thank you for
that! I am not sure where to report the mailing list subscription
issues - maybe the contribution site helps here as well?
Home · ruby/www.ruby-lang.org Wiki · GitHub

Yes, problems with the web form on ruby-lang.org should be
reported to GitHub - ruby/www.ruby-lang.org: Source of the https://www.ruby-lang.org website..

Regards,
Marcus (stomar)

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM, [email protected] wrote:

These two items above are really valuable feedback! Thank you for
that! I am not sure where to report the mailing list subscription
issues - maybe the contribution site helps here as well?
Home · ruby/www.ruby-lang.org Wiki · GitHub

Yes, problems with the web form on ruby-lang.org should be
reported to GitHub - ruby/www.ruby-lang.org: Source of the https://www.ruby-lang.org website..

Thank you for the fix and the confirmation!

Kind regards

robert