Forum: Ruby on Rails Could not find a valid gem 'xxx' in any repository

9e48d3d179e7559cff7a58c07f8783fa?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Jenkins (cjnkns)
on 2010-11-11 21:03
I am attempting to install Ruby/Rails on an Windows XP box.
After following these instructions -
(http://pragmaticstudio.com/blog/2010/9/23/install-...)
including the comments at the bottom about Devkit.

I get an error when trying to do a 'gem install sqlite3-ruby'.
The reply is 'Could not find a valid gem 'sqlite3-ruby' <>=0> in any
repository.'

Any instructions on what I did wrong would be great.

Thanks!
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
On Nov 11, 5:03pm, Carl Jenkins <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

Most likely you're behind a proxy and you are not aware of.

Please check your browser settings. take note of the HTTP proxy
information and then use the --http-proxy option of gem install
command.

More details in the syntax use "gem help install"

Also, you can see if your proxy is not blocking S3/CDN downloads by
manually downloading in the browser one gem from rubygems.org:

http://rubygems.org/

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
9e48d3d179e7559cff7a58c07f8783fa?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Jenkins (cjnkns)

On Nov 11, 7:25pm, Carl Jenkins <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Using a browser I can download gems fromhttp://rubygems.org.
> Does this mean I should NOT have to use the --http_proxy switch on the
> command line?

No, you *should* use --http-proxy option, please check your browser
options about proxy connection and use that information in the --http-
proxy option

You will end with something like this:

gem install xxx --http-proxy=http://user:password@server

--
Luis Lavena
9e48d3d179e7559cff7a58c07f8783fa?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Jenkins (cjnkns)
> No, you *should* use --http-proxy option, please check your browser
> options about proxy connection and use that information in the --http-
> proxy option
>
> You will end with something like this:
>
> gem install xxx --http-proxy=http://user:password@server
>
> --
> Luis Lavena

I understand now - thanks for your help. It is working like a charm. :)
Existing account

No account? Register here.