Utter Newbie, HELP!

Dear Ruby on Rails Expert with Compassion for a Newbie,

(:->)

I just got started. I tried:

At the Windows Command Prompt:
ruby
puts “Hello, world!”
^D

The response is: -:2: syntax error, unexpected ‘^’, expecting $end

I am using Ruby 2.2 (ruby186-26.exe). What can I do, besides pull
out my hair? This can be very discouraging for a complete novice.

Roger

You probably want to use irb for that type of fiddling…

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\arc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts ‘Hello World’
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

I am by no means any expert and consider myself a newbie also but I am
sure
that

^D

actually means

control D

Brandon

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:38:54 -0800 (PST), bachcole [email protected]
wrote:

^D

The response is: -:2: syntax error, unexpected ‘^’, expecting $end

I am using Ruby 2.2 (ruby186-26.exe). What can I do, besides pull
out my hair? This can be very discouraging for a complete novice.

Roger

Brandon Martin

So where is irb?

I have been looking for it for some time now.

I seems like this Ruby is very much a work in progress. It seems to
have a lot of bugs and it seems to be very difficult to work with.

Roger

C:\Documents and Settings\arc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts ‘Hello World’
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

I have never used ruby in windows, but it has been around for a while
and
on Linux and OS X it works flawlessly.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:48:28 -0700, ROGER BIRD wrote: So where is

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:39:28 +0100
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Rails] Re: Utter Newbie, HELP!!!

You probably want to use irb for that type of fiddling…

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and Settingsarc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts ‘Hello World’
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

I am the psychopathic programmer: I do not make Silly User Errors. The
World is against me.

(:->)

All I have done today is Silly User Errors. If you guys say that Ruby
is FrickingFantastic and works just fine in Windows, I am going to
believe you and I am going to push on and learn this and make it work
for me. I saw that video of that guy doing a blog page, and although I
have very little idea what he was doing when he was doing it, I am
impressed with the result.

Roger

Sorry for the incomplete answer…

Windows? I think it came in my general install of ruby186-26.exe

And thus far, I have yet to encounter a real Ruby issue, usually it’s
just a Silly User Error, meaning mine, or my lack of understanding on
the Ruby syntax (it is light years ahead of what I develop with
day-to-day).

Windows Liveâ„¢: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009

ROGER BIRD wrote:

So where is irb?

Sorry for the incomplete answer…

irb (Interactive Ruby) is another package to load on your machine…

For linux (Ubuntu 8.04 is my flavor),

sudo apt-get install ruby
sudo apt-get install ri
sudo apt-get install rdoc

would be the bare minimum I would do…

Windows? I think it came in my general install of ruby186-26.exe

And thus far, I have yet to encounter a real Ruby issue, usually it’s
just a Silly User Error, meaning mine, or my lack of understanding on
the Ruby syntax (it is light years ahead of what I develop with
day-to-day).

Ruby on windows works fine. The package you have there works fine for
general web development with Rails. However you’ve got a lot of things
oyu have to learn in order to be able to build a blog in 10 minutes.

I have a couple of resources you might find useful though:

First, I maintain a simple tutorial for beginners which you can get
from Cooking With Ruby On Rails 4 - A Rails Crash Course | New Auburn Personal Computer Services LLC which
will give you a basic introduction to Rails. You’ll build a small
application and then give you some places to go next.

Next, I really recommend the “Agile Web D. with Rails” book.
You can get a PDF right now and it will get you going on the right
path.

After that, get working on stuff. Build things and ask questions when
you get stuck. The community is awesome and is willing to help you.

-Brian