Forum: Ruby on Rails Utter Newbie, HELP!!!!

9521db9288a4b372ec05560561357f6d?d=identicon&s=25 bachcole (Guest)
Dear Ruby on Rails Expert with Compassion for a Newbie,

(:->)

I just got started.  I tried:

At the Windows Command Prompt:
ruby
puts "Hello, world!"
^D

The response is: -:2: syntax error, unexpected '^', expecting $end

I am using Ruby 2.2  (ruby186-26.exe).  What can I do, besides pull
out my hair?  This can be very discouraging for a complete novice.

Roger
D188e591eac11021329b8821a5f954c7?d=identicon&s=25 Ar Chron (railsdog)
on 2009-01-14 19:39
You probably want to use irb for that type of fiddling...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\arc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts 'Hello World'
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>
5f3abd8b41d671ea5ca29ba04a828763?d=identicon&s=25 Brandon Martin (Guest)
I am by no means any expert and consider myself a newbie also but I am
sure
that

^D

actually means

control D

Brandon

--
Brandon Martin
9521db9288a4b372ec05560561357f6d?d=identicon&s=25 ROGER BIRD (Guest)

I have been looking for it for some time now.

I seems like this Ruby is very much a work in progress.  It seems to
have a lot of bugs and it seems to be very difficult to work with.

Roger

> C:\Documents and Settings\arc>irb
> irb(main):001:0> puts 'Hello World'
> Hello World
> => nil
> irb(main):002:0>
> --

I have never used ruby in windows, but it has been around for a while
and
on Linux and OS X it works flawlessly.

 On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:48:28 -0700, ROGER BIRD wrote:   So where is
irb?

 I have been looking for it for some time now.

 I seems like this Ruby is very much a work in progress.  It seems to
have a lot of bugs and it seems to be very difficult to work with.

 Roger

 > Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:39:28 +0100
 > To: rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com
 > Subject: [Rails] Re: Utter Newbie, HELP!!!!
 >

 > You probably want to use irb for that type of fiddling...
 >
 > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
 > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
 >
 > C:Documents and Settingsarc>irb
 > irb(main):001:0> puts 'Hello World'
 > Hello World
 > => nil
 > irb(main):002:0>
 > --

D188e591eac11021329b8821a5f954c7?d=identicon&s=25 Ar Chron (railsdog)
on 2009-01-14 20:00
ROGER BIRD wrote:
> So where is irb?

Sorry for the incomplete answer...

irb (Interactive Ruby) is another package to load on your machine...

For linux (Ubuntu 8.04 is my flavor),

sudo apt-get install ruby
sudo apt-get install ri
sudo apt-get install rdoc

would be the bare minimum I would do...

Windows?  I think it came in my general install of  ruby186-26.exe

And thus far, I have yet to encounter a real Ruby issue, usually it's
just a Silly User Error, meaning mine, or my lack of understanding on
the Ruby syntax (it is light years ahead of what I develop with
day-to-day).
9521db9288a4b372ec05560561357f6d?d=identicon&s=25 ROGER BIRD (Guest)
I am the psychopathic programmer:  I do not make Silly User Errors.  The
World is against me.

(:->)

All I have done today is Silly User Errors.  If you guys say that Ruby
is FrickingFantastic and works just fine in Windows, I am going to
believe you and I am going to push on and learn this and make it work
for me.  I saw that video of that guy doing a blog page, and although I
have very little idea what he was doing when he was doing it, I am
impressed with the result.

Roger

> Sorry for the incomplete answer...
>
> Windows?  I think it came in my general install of  ruby186-26.exe
>
> And thus far, I have yet to encounter a real Ruby issue, usually it's
> just a Silly User Error, meaning mine, or my lack of understanding on
> the Ruby syntax (it is light years ahead of what I develop with
> day-to-day).
> --

Ruby on windows works fine. The package you have there works fine for
general web development with Rails. However you've got a lot of things
oyu have to learn in order to be able to build a blog in 10 minutes.

I have a couple of resources you might find useful though:

First, I maintain a simple tutorial for beginners which you can get
from http://www.napcs.com/resources/rails/cookbook/index.html which
will give you a basic introduction to Rails. You'll build a small
application and then give you some places to go next.

Next, I really recommend the "Agile Web Development with Rails" book.
You can get a PDF right now and it will get you going on the right
path.
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/agile-web-de...

After that, get working on stuff. Build things and ask questions when
you get stuck. The community is awesome and is willing to help you.

-Brian