Utter Newbie, HELP!

Dear Ruby on Rails Expert with Compassion for a Newbie,

(:->)

I just got started. I tried:

At the Windows Command Prompt:
ruby
puts “Hello, world!”
^D

The response is: -:2: syntax error, unexpected ‘^’, expecting $end

I am using Ruby 2.2 (ruby186-26.exe). What can I do, besides pull
out my hair? This can be very discouraging for a complete novice.

Roger

You probably want to use irb for that type of fiddling…

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\arc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts ‘Hello World’
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

I am by no means any expert and consider myself a newbie also but I am
sure
that

^D

actually means

control D

Brandon

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:38:54 -0800 (PST), bachcole [email protected]
wrote:

^D

The response is: -:2: syntax error, unexpected ‘^’, expecting $end

I am using Ruby 2.2 (ruby186-26.exe). What can I do, besides pull
out my hair? This can be very discouraging for a complete novice.

Roger

Brandon Martin

So where is irb?

I have been looking for it for some time now.

I seems like this Ruby is very much a work in progress. It seems to
have a lot of bugs and it seems to be very difficult to work with.

Roger

C:\Documents and Settings\arc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts ‘Hello World’
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

I have never used ruby in windows, but it has been around for a while
and
on Linux and OS X it works flawlessly.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:48:28 -0700, ROGER BIRD wrote: So where is

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:39:28 +0100
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Rails] Re: Utter Newbie, HELP!!!

You probably want to use irb for that type of fiddling…

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and Settingsarc>irb
irb(main):001:0> puts ‘Hello World’
Hello World
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

I am the psychopathic programmer: I do not make Silly User Errors. The
World is against me.

(:->)

All I have done today is Silly User Errors. If you guys say that Ruby
is FrickingFantastic and works just fine in Windows, I am going to
believe you and I am going to push on and learn this and make it work
for me. I saw that video of that guy doing a blog page, and although I
have very little idea what he was doing when he was doing it, I am
impressed with the result.

Roger

Sorry for the incomplete answer…

Windows? I think it came in my general install of ruby186-26.exe

And thus far, I have yet to encounter a real Ruby issue, usually it’s
just a Silly User Error, meaning mine, or my lack of understanding on
the Ruby syntax (it is light years ahead of what I develop with
day-to-day).

Windows Liveâ„¢: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009

ROGER BIRD wrote:

So where is irb?

Sorry for the incomplete answer…

irb (Interactive Ruby) is another package to load on your machine…

For linux (Ubuntu 8.04 is my flavor),

sudo apt-get install ruby
sudo apt-get install ri
sudo apt-get install rdoc

would be the bare minimum I would do…

Windows? I think it came in my general install of ruby186-26.exe

And thus far, I have yet to encounter a real Ruby issue, usually it’s
just a Silly User Error, meaning mine, or my lack of understanding on
the Ruby syntax (it is light years ahead of what I develop with
day-to-day).

Ruby on windows works fine. The package you have there works fine for
general web development with Rails. However you’ve got a lot of things
oyu have to learn in order to be able to build a blog in 10 minutes.

I have a couple of resources you might find useful though:

First, I maintain a simple tutorial for beginners which you can get
from http://www.napcs.com/resources/rails/cookbook/index.html which
will give you a basic introduction to Rails. You’ll build a small
application and then give you some places to go next.

Next, I really recommend the “Agile Web D. with Rails” book.
You can get a PDF right now and it will get you going on the right
path.
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/agile-web-development-with-rails-third-edition

After that, get working on stuff. Build things and ask questions when
you get stuck. The community is awesome and is willing to help you.

-Brian