Forum: Ruby on Rails ActionMailer weirdness: bad html '=3d' for all '='

minka (Guest)
I am getting html output in my email body with spurious characters
that cannot be rendered, so that my links are not handled properly.
What am I not getting here?

My email body contains:
-----------------clip-------------
<A href=mailto:&quot;<%=h('support@mysite.com')%>?
Support&quot;>Support</A><br/>

with any issues. Please include your order number...
-----------------clip-------------
I'm getting '=3d' for all '=' so that the <A href=... becomes <A
href=3d... which is garbage.

I have tried using all possible combinations of h() and mailto
function: those don't fix it.
That is NOT the problem.

This is my method in order_mailer:
  def price(order)
    @subject       = "Order Email
    @recipients    = order.email
    @from          = 'support@mysite.com'
    @sent_on       = Time.now
    @body["order"] = order

    part :content_type => "text/plain",
         :body => render_message("price_text_html", :order => order)

    end

I tried content type text/html first, text/plain also does not work.

I can't use the utf code for '=', it isn't understood properly.

By the way, 3d is the hex unicode for '='.

What's up??
Kent Sibilev (Guest)
On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:46 AM, minka <beta@beelucid.com> wrote:
> with any issues. Please include your order number...
>    @subject       = "Order Email
> I tried content type text/html first, text/plain also does not work.
>
> I can't use the utf code for '=', it isn't understood properly.
>
> By the way, 3d is the hex unicode for '='.
>
> What's up??

SMTP protocol uses 7bit ASCII characters, so your emails must be
properly encoded. You can read more about this at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME.

BTW, you can use tmail gem in order to decode your emails. I suspect
something like this should work:

require 'rubygems'
require 'tmail'

email = TMail::Mail.parse(email_text)
puts email.body

--
Kent
minka (Guest)

    @order = Order.find(params[:id])
    email = TMail::Mail.new
    email = OrderMailer.create_price(@order)
    # BRUTE FORCE, nothing else worked!
    # contaminated html in my emails!!
    # All '=' became '=3D'
    # NOTE TMail::Mail.parse() did not fix this.
    email_fix = email.encoded.gsub(/[3][D]/,'') # replace '3D' with
empty string in email WORKED
    email = TMail::Mail.parse(email_fix)
    OrderMailer.deliver(email)
Frederick Cheung (Guest)
On Dec 1, 10:30 pm, minka <b...@beelucid.com> wrote:
> I tried TMail parse and I tried manually changing unicode to 7bit
> ascii,
> nothing worked. so finally I did it brute force. In my controller

The email was encoded with quoted-printable. In that encoding = is a
special character so is escaped with =3D.

You can set the transfer encoding to something other than quoted-
printable (eg not encode at all), but if you don't encode at all the
mail could get garbled when passing through some mail servers. There's
an example in the docs of how to set the transfer encoding to base64,
you could instead just set it to 'identity' (actually actionmailer
won't do any encoding if that setting is not either quoted-printable
of base64 but you might as well pick a sensible name)

If your email is indeed html, why are you setting the content type to
text/plain ?

Fred
minka (Guest)
the content type is text/html.
Where and how should I specify encoding?
Is it this:

 mail = TMail::Mail.new
 mail.transfer_encoding = "something"

What should "something" be?
this email is plain, vanilla, simple, nothing fancy, no special
characters, etc.
I just want something plain, simple etc that WORKS on ALL mail
servers.
thanks much!
minka

On Dec 1, 2:40 pm, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>