Forum: Ruby Manual Testing

7bdb696ac0f589522c9ed31a1b24057b?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Anderson (scudco)
on 2008-10-21 01:42
I'm trying to figure out a good way to incorporate manual testing into
automated testing. I have a little snippet of what I've been working on
at http://gist.github.com/7901

It basically assumes a manual test has a description and a series of
steps. Steps can take blocks of code to be executed in the context of
the test. I think this is a good start, but I haven't been able to think
of a good way to run manual tests by themselves or even in combination
with automated tests. As you can see in the gist I tried using
ENV['MANUAL'] but that will only work if the spec is part of a rake task
since using 'ruby' or 'spec' will attempt to gobble up the environment
variable assignment:

$ rake spec MANUAL=true  <-- works
$ ruby foo.rb MANUAL=true <-- FAIL
$ spec foo.rb MANUAL=true <-- FAIL

So if anyone has any insights on how they've done manual testing or any
inspiration(:D) from the gist please let me know.

Thanks,
Adam

Note: I spiked this out a while back with the Moonit gem(which was for
test::unit), but I was not happy with the results.
Cfdeff3ac35010e4de8f85d954f24f4a?d=identicon&s=25 Vassilis Rizopoulos (Guest)
Adam Anderson wrote:
> since using 'ruby' or 'spec' will attempt to gobble up the environment
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> Note: I spiked this out a while back with the Moonit gem(which was for
> test::unit), but I was not happy with the results.

Shameless plug: Check http://patir.rubyforge.org/rutema for a way to
organize the tests how you describe.
The whole project started with the same requirements: a mix of automated
and manual tests, so there is provision for such tests.
Cheers,
V.-
7bdb696ac0f589522c9ed31a1b24057b?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Anderson (scudco)
on 2008-10-28 18:30
I released the gist as the horrible gem.

http://github.com/scudco/horrible/