Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails installation

915c75d80fe715ffe9772edd9c6a83d7?d=identicon&s=25 bramu.ss@gmail.com (Guest)

   I am new to Rails. I installed ruby in my system and when I try to
install rails it is giving error and later I realized that my proxy
server is blocking the rails gem download. So I downloaded the
rails2.1 gem and what is the gem install command to install rails.

  Please help me I am totally on hold because of this. Expecting a
quick reply :)

Thanks,
Ramu.
On Oct 5, 8:46 am, "bramu...@gmail.com" <bramu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am new to Rails. I installed ruby in my system and when I try to
> install rails it is giving error and later I realized that my proxy
> server is blocking the rails gem download. So I downloaded the
> rails2.1 gem and what is the gem install command to install rails.

gem help install should help you out.

Fred
915c75d80fe715ffe9772edd9c6a83d7?d=identicon&s=25 bramu.ss@gmail.com (Guest)
I did that. But it was asked for rake 0.8 then I installed rake. Now
it is asking for Active support. Is there any package with all the
gems??

Thanks,
Ramu.

On Oct 5, 5:00 pm, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>
D6434aa0b7b350f8c3ed0119d81b2ead?d=identicon&s=25 Roy Pardee (rpardee)
Not sure if this will help, but gems will traverse a proxy server if you
tell it where to go by setting an environment variable like so:

  http_proxy=http://win_username:win_password@proxy.server.name...

So for me it'd be something like:

  http_proxy=http://win_username:win_password@proxy.ghc.org:8080

I normally set that manually on a command line & then issue the
appropriate gem command.

HTH,

-Roy