Forum: Ruby Some issues with Ruby

Ffe43527f5bf887e2bfecb01edc5a21c?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandre Rosenfeld (airmind)

I'm having a couple of issues, unfortunately I couldn't find anything on
the internet. I'm using Ubuntu 7.04, with Ruby 1.8 installed with
Synaptic.

- My irb doesnt autocomplete objects. When I press TAB, it autocompletes
paths, but not methods, variables, etc. I have readlines installed.

- When I want to use Gem packages, I have to "include 'rubygems'" before
I can use any package. This wasnt the case in Windows, is it needed in
Linux? Is there a way to avoid it?

- rbbr (Ruby Browser) can't find Gnome/Gtk class documentation. I tried
both the separate documentation package and downloaded the rbbr with api
package, but it doesnt show any documentation for Gnome classes. I had
this problem with all my Ubuntu installations. How can I get Gnome
classes documented in Ruby Browser?

Thanks
Alexandre Rosenfeld wrote:
> - My irb doesnt autocomplete objects. When I press TAB, it autocompletes
> paths, but not methods, variables, etc. I have readlines installed.

Use this command:

  irb -r irb/completion

OR put this line in your .irbrc file:

require 'irb/completion'

> - When I want to use Gem packages, I have to "include 'rubygems'" before
> I can use any package. This wasnt the case in Windows, is it needed in
> Linux? Is there a way to avoid it?

Put

export RUBYOPT='rubygems'

in your shell's env file (.zshenv for me).
Ffe43527f5bf887e2bfecb01edc5a21c?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandre Rosenfeld (airmind)
on 2007-07-27 23:32
Thanks a lot, it all worked very well.

Does anyone know how to fix the Gnome/Gtk documentation?