Forum: Ruby on Rails how can I create a 2nd/separate cookie for my app?? (i.e. an

D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)

How can I create a 2nd/separate cookie for my app (i.e. and not use the
session tracking cookie).  Is this possible?

Currently the timezone id I'm saving via "cookies[:tz]" gets stored ok
in
the application cookie (along with session_id etc), however the session
cookie disappears after the browser is closed - and I don't want to keep
this session cookie "alive" longer than this.

Tks
3299251223f55753ec84719de39e6e53?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Garvin (Guest)
Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Tks

That sound to me like the kind of thing you might want to be storing in
the users table.

--
http://www.5valleys.com/
A9b3b6f3ea2e49d18d5bb14dbc0a1e13?d=identicon&s=25 wolfmanjm (Guest)

cookies[:_my_host_tz]= { :value => "PST", :expires =>
30.days.from_now, :path => "/" }

and checking in Firefox, it does create a separate cookie from the
sessions cookie.
there is a _my_host_session_id and a _my_host_tz cookie.

On Jul 3, 2:48 pm, "Greg Hauptmann" <greg.hauptmann.r...@gmail.com>
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
oh, perhaps I was misinterpreting the "see cookie info" from the web
developer firefox plugin (i.e. thought it was the same cookie) - let me
try
this wolfmanjm - tks`
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
PS.  How are you accessing the timezone info in your app out of
curiosity?

I've doing the following.  Any comments welcomed?
* I'm not accessing via the cookie as if it's not set and I set it in a
before filter it remains unset until the next browser request, so what
I'm
doing is:
* Application code accesses value from session, with cookie value being
used
when browser closed/opened.
* When even setting timezone in app set both cookie & session.
* BeforeFilter = Ensure that both session and cookie contains value.  If
cookie is nil then set it with with session value and vica versa.  If
both
are nil then set a default in both cookie and session
A9b3b6f3ea2e49d18d5bb14dbc0a1e13?d=identicon&s=25 wolfmanjm (Guest)
Sorry I'm not actually using the cookie to store TZ info, I'm actually
using it to store last view time, but the technique for cookie storing
should be the same :)

On Jul 3, 4:14 pm, "Greg Hauptmann" <greg.hauptmann.r...@gmail.com>