Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 [BUG] libglade, gettext and empty msgstr

4913bcb685792f601ae9813b4713abb9?d=identicon&s=25 Detlef Reichl (Guest)

the default behaviour of gettext is, that if a msgstr is empty the text
from the msgid is displayed. This works perfectly with strings that are
extracted from ruby files. But if the string comes from a glade file and
is not translated the original string is not shown.

I use ruby gnome from CVS.

On Thu, 17 May 2007 15:45:17 +0200
Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the default behaviour of gettext is, that if a msgstr is empty the text
> from the msgid is displayed. This works perfectly with strings that are
> extracted from ruby files. But if the string comes from a glade file and
> is not translated the original string is not shown.
>
> I use ruby gnome from CVS.

Could you show us your sample ?

Am Samstag, den 19.05.2007, 23:29 +0900 schrieb Masao Mutoh:
> > is not translated the original string is not shown.
> >
> > I use ruby gnome from CVS.
>
> Could you show us your sample ?

Hi,

first sorry for the long delay on response, but i was on holidays :-)

You can download my app from here:

http://det.cable.nu/kloetzle/index.rbx

The lines in the po-file that make problems you'll find in
po/de/kloetzle.po 504 and 509.

The source file that uses the po and the glade file is
in /lib/kloetzle/video/config.rb

After i replaced the empty msgstr with a copy of the msgid, the string
is shown like expected. If it is from interest, the glade files are
created with glade3.

Cheers
detlef

with the update to debians unstable tree and with it to the
libruby-gettext1.8 package (version 1.9.0-1) this problem is gone.

Cheers
detlef

Am Montag, den 28.05.2007, 15:04 +0200 schrieb Detlef Reichl:
> > > extracted from ruby files. But if the string comes from a glade file and
> You can download my app from here:
> is shown like expected. If it is from interest, the glade files are
> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
Hi Detlef,

Sorry for late.

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:04:35 +0200
Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 19.05.2007, 23:29 +0900 schrieb Masao Mutoh:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 17 May 2007 15:45:17 +0200
> > Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> After i replaced the empty msgstr with a copy of the msgid, the string
> is shown like expected. If it is from interest, the glade files are
> created with glade3.

I could reproduce "bbbbbbbbbbbbb" becomes empty.
Then, I recompiled your mo-file using rmsgfmt, it becomes "bbbbbbbb...".

So I suspect your klotzle.mo file was broken.
Did you fix this by yourself?

HTH,
Masao

Hi Detlef,

Wow, it's a miracle. Just now, I sended my previous message
before your message was reached ;).

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:19:52 +0200
Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> > created with glade3.
Hi Masao,

about the miracle: i saw someone from japan in my webserver logfiles
viewing the kloetzle pages. And because i didn't published this pages
very far from now i thought on you :-) Then i thought about this old
bug, looked at the actual state and saw that it was solved for me. BTW
the .mo file was created by GetText.create_mofiles so the old version
seems to have a bug.

While we are at bugs:
some time ago i reported a bug in the libglade ruby bindings. This got
corrected in CVS some time ago. Because i want to release my kloetzle
program in the next 2-3 weeks to the public: whats about an other
ruby-gnome release? I don't want to force my users to fetch things from
CVS.

Cheers
detlef