Yet another send_data :image question

Guys & gals,

I’m also learning RoR (using v2.3.4). I’ve got a basic scaffold
working for image file creation, and - to a point - image file
display.

The send_data function is working in my controller - no problem. The
model code is able to parse the uploaded file construct too.

def show
@image = Image.find(params[:id])
send_data(@image.binary_data, :type =>
@image.content_type, :disposition=>“inline”)
end

The issue with my output page, specifically “show”. All attempts to
render the page, result in only the image (.jpg, .png, … format
unimportant) being rendered. No other HTML makes it to the browser.

I’ve tried code variants with <% image_tag … %> to no avail.

Ideas? I’d like to keep the remainder of my hair over this one.

-Brian

On Feb 24, 10:00 pm, Brian P. [email protected] wrote:

@image = Image.find(params[:id])
            send_data(@image.binary_data, :type =>

@image.content_type, :disposition=>“inline”)
end

The issue with my output page, specifically “show”. All attempts to
render the page, result in only the image (.jpg, .png, … format
unimportant) being rendered. No other HTML makes it to the browser.

This controller action will only ever send a chunk of image data to a
browser. If you wanted that image to be served on a page then you
would need a separate page (server by a different action (and/or
controller) that contained an img tag whose src points at the action
you’ve pasted above

Fred

Aha.

Thanks Fred, this makes sense. Appreciate it.

On Feb 24, 7:12 pm, Frederick C. [email protected]

system, concerning patient health record and such, and wonder if RoR is
perfect for this job?

Absolutely.

A dynamic website is ideal for Rails. I don’t know what they other
posters
mean (having not read them), but there used to be arguments about Rails
not
scaling (not anywhere near being true now, if indeed it ever was).

I probably wouldn’t use it for a 1-3 page site, but anything more
complex
than that, every time!

Cheers,

Andy

Hi all,

I’ve been joining this mailing list for two days and read some
interesting topics.
I haven’t started out my RoR installation yet, so i don’t have any
tech-related questions or experiences. But I wonder if I can get some
inputs on RoR. I’ve been reading some posts over the internet, and I see
that some of them mention “don’t use RoR for something it does not meant
to be used”.
I can’t help but to question, exactly, what RoR meant to be used? And
what kind of job that RoR shouldn’t be used?
I’m going to build a web based system, something like hospital
information system, concerning patient health record and such, and
wonder if RoR is perfect for this job?

Thanks.

Regards,
Arga

I’m also learning RoR (using v2.3.4). I’ve got a basic scaffold
working for image file creation, and - to a point - image file
display.

The send_data function is working in my controller - no problem. The
model code is able to parse the uploaded file construct too.

def show
@image = Image.find(params[:id])
send_data(@image.binary_data, :type =>
@image.content_type, :disposition=>“inline”)
end

The issue with my output page, specifically “show”. All attempts to
render the page, result in only the image (.jpg, .png, … format
unimportant) being rendered. No other HTML makes it to the browser.

I’ve tried code variants with <% image_tag … %> to no avail.

Ideas? I’d like to keep the remainder of my hair over this one.

-Brian

Groups “Ruby on Rails: Talk” group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at

  Get your new Email address!

Grab the Email name you’ve always wanted before someone else does!

I’m not sure how much of the ‘doesn’t scale’ stigma was associated Ruth
twitter but architecturally rails is optimised for “web-based business
object lifecycle management” (most dynamically generated sites) rather
than
“real-time massively distributed message networks” (twitter) the latter
of
which benefits from mechanisms for super fast memory-based queuing
systems.
They’re different problems; luckily many including me think rails does
pretty well with the former.

On 25 Feb 2010 14:29, “ben wiseley” [email protected] wrote:

I agree with Andy. About the only excuse not to use Rails these days is
it’s still kind of a pain in the ass to deploy (but it’s gotten MUCH
better
with Passenger and is fairly idiot proof now). Rails also makes life
somewhat difficult if you’re not following the Rails way; like working
with
legacy databases or for some reason needing to massively violate the MVC
pattern. But, even those things are possible. Some Rails add-ons
(gems,
libraries) can be difficult on Windows as well. Ideally you’re
developing
on a Mac and deploying to Linux. But, again, a lot of people dev on
Windows… I did the first year I was doing Rails.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Andy J. [email protected]