Xmlsimple not found

I’ve been working through the Flickr tutorial, and it looks like I
installed the Flickr gem with the require xml-simple gem without
problems. But when I got to the point in the demo when it was time to
submit the form, I got an error with the message “uninitialized constant
Flickr”.

I did some poking around at the gem repository, and ran ‘ruby
test_flickr.rb’ to test, and got the message:
./flickr.rb:49:in `require’: no such file to load – xmlsimple
(LoadError). This is of course the place in flickr.rb where “require
‘xmlsimple’” is called. Ran a similar test in a test.rb file that
simply says “require ‘xmlsimple’”, and it chokes in a similar fashion.

The system says I have xml-simple installed (running gem q -l). I’ve
tried uninstalling and reinstalling both xml-simple and flickr,
independendtly and by letting flickr grab xml-simple. I’ve restarted the
server entirely. Things always install without error, and gem always
tells me I’ve got xml-simple installed, but when it comes time to
require xmlsimple, it can’t be found. I’m tearing my hair out.

I’ve got xml-simple 1.0.8, Ruby 1.8.4, RubyGems 0.8.11, running on an
old Suse 8 box. Haven’t had any problems running or installing anything
Ruby-on-Rails related so far.

Thanks,

Nikki

Final comment - I just installed Ruby/Gems/Rails on my WinXP laptop and
I’m getting the exact same results. Everything seemed to install
without error. I can run a basic app. I install the Flickr gem, which
also grabs xml-simple. The system says they’re installed. Go to run
‘ruby require flickr’ and bam - can’t be found. Gem_path seems to point
to the correct repository.

Is there a version incompatibility somewhere? Both systems (Linux and
Windows) are running Ruby 1.8.4, Gems 1.8, Rails 1.1, flickr gem 1.0.0,
xml-simple 1.0.8 (though I tried to grab the Technorati gem, which
installed, and the system couldn’t find that either.

I was really looking forward to teaching myself RoR with a demo app I
have in mind, but I’m close to giving up.

Thanks again,

Nikki

A bit more information - turns out I can’t find any extra installed
gems. Running gem env produces:
Rubygems Environment:

  • VERSION: 0.8.11 (0.8.11)
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • GEM PATH:
    • /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

The gem path seems to be correct. I tried additionally adding a similar
$GEM_HOME to my local environment. I have “export RUBYOPT=rubygems” in
my .profile. Gems install without error and show that they’re installed
on the server. I’m using the mysql gem to connect to the database
without problem. But when I run something at the command line like ‘ruby
require flickr’, I get “No such file or directory – require
(LoadError)”.

Aside from wanting to muck around with the simple Flickr demo, I’d
really like to figure out what’s up with my system so I can use the
extra libraries.

Thanks,

Nikki

Try running ruby -e “require ‘flickr’” and see if that works. Just
running ruby require flickr will try to execute a script called
require, which obviously isn’t what you’re trying to achieve.

Hope that helps.

David

That doesn’t work either (and obviously I’m a newbie).

I ran

ruby -e “require ‘flickr’”

and got -e:1:in `require’: no such file to load – flickr (LoadError)
from -e:1

And as long as - require ‘flickr’ - is in the environment.rb file, I
can’t start the server, generate scaffolds, etc.

Thanks very much for answering though.

Nikki

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs