Working on IronRuby visual studio tools

Re-post of this email as it accidentally was sent as a reply to someone
else’s… Oops

I’m hoping to do some work to fix some of the bugs in IronRuby’s visual
studio integration, but I’m having a few issues getting a dev
environment
up and running.

  • I can build IronStudio.sln from the Solutions folder, and my modified
    version of the IronRuby tools loads in the visual studio experimental
    instance and is fine.
  • I can build the full IronRuby installer, and when I install it, my
    modified version of IronRuby tools loads in the normal visual studio
    instance.

But, I can’t figure out how I can build a modified version of IronRuby
tools and run it in a normal instance without doing the full MSI release
build.
Simply building the tools and then launching a normal visual studio
instance produces this error message when I open any solution:

Microsoft Visual Studio

The ‘Microsoft.IronRubyTools.IronRubyToolsPackage, IronRubyTools,
Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1’
package
did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the
installation of another extension. You can get more information by
running
the application together with the /log parameter on the command line,
and
then examining the file
‘C:\Users\orione\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml’.

Continue to show this error message?

Yes No

If I click Yes, then the projects load, but this dialog reappears
whenever
I launch VS or load any solutions. If I click no, VS disables the
IronRuby
addin, and I have to run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs to put it back (and then
the error messages come back). The only way to “fix” the issue is to
uninstall/reinstall the IronRuby tools MSI itself.

Is there a way to get the non-experimental instance of visual studio to
load IronRuby tools without having to do a full build if the MSI in
release mode?

Thanks, Orion

This e-mail is confidential and may contain information subject to legal
privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please advise us of
our
error by return e-mail then delete this e-mail and any attached files.
You may not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way.

The views expressed in this e-mail may not be those of Gallagher Group
Ltd or subsidiary companies thereof.

Orion, what can’t you accomplish with the experimental hive which you
think you can do by installing a non-MSI’d IronRuby tools?

The non-MSI installation is not supported as we use the GAC for
resolving dependencies of “IronStudio” components between Ruby and
Python. A non-MSI installation using VSIX has no dependency management,
so things could break easily.

~Jimmy

The experimental instance works well for development.
After making a change to the VS tools I’d like to use it “in anger” in
the
production instance working on real code, and rebuilding/reinstalling
the
release MSI is just an extra step requiring more time.

If it’s difficult to resolve or likely to cause issues then it’s no big
deal, I was mainly just curious.

Is there a wiki page which explains this? I could add one?

Thanks, Orion

From: Jimmy S. [email protected]
To: “[email protected][email protected]
Date: 26/05/2011 01:51 a.m.
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] Working on IronRuby visual studio
tools
Sent by: [email protected]

Orion, what can’t you accomplish with the experimental hive which you
think you can do by installing a non-MSI’d IronRuby tools?

The non-MSI installation is not supported as we use the GAC for
resolving
dependencies of “IronStudio” components between Ruby and Python. A
non-MSI
installation using VSIX has no dependency management, so things could
break easily.

~Jimmy

On May 23, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Orion E. [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]

If you need it for “in production” testing definitely use the MSI.
That’s the way how users will install it.

Tomas

From: Jimmy S.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]>
To: