Won't Go

Cant get Ruby to run it seems. Windows XP. downloaded with 1.8.6 one
click installer. try to run “puts gets”. works in irb. “gets” does not
work in sciTE - it does nothing, but i can close it. if run from command
prompt, the window closes immediatly. if i try to run a sample program.
window closes after input into sample program. i am looking for a good
language to learn oop. but i cant get this one to run. Please help.

try running irb from the command line

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Ill E. [email protected] wrote:

Cant get Ruby to run it seems. Windows XP. downloaded with 1.8.6 one
click installer. try to run “puts gets”. works in irb. “gets” does not
work in sciTE - it does nothing, but i can close it. if run from command
prompt, the window closes immediatly. if i try to run a sample program.
window closes after input into sample program. i am looking for a good
language to learn oop. but i cant get this one to run. Please help.

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


“Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying.”

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Ill E. wrote:

Cant get Ruby to run it seems. Windows XP. downloaded with 1.8.6 one
click installer. try to run “puts gets”. works in irb. “gets” does not
work in sciTE - it does nothing, but i can close it. if run from command
prompt, the window closes immediatly. if i try to run a sample program.
window closes after input into sample program. i am looking for a good
language to learn oop. but i cant get this one to run. Please help.

Thanks for reply. i think i mentioned irb works. but i don’t guess i can
run programs or edit code in irb.

I’ve never used sciTE so I can’t say for sure, but I’ve heard it said
that Kernel#gets (which is what is actually used when you call gets)
does not work in sciTE, but $stdin.gets does. Alternativly there are
several different IDEs availiable in which Kernel#gets will work fine.
I personally use Aptana Radrails.

There is a list of IDEs being built atm. Hava a look at:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODcgxwdG9tUFhqcVVoUDVaLTlqT2YtNjV1N0E&hl=en

Hope this helps!

thanks much. seems to work if i use text editor and then run from
command line.
i will also check out the ide’s.

clearly i am no pro. i need to solve complex engineering problems. i now
have 2000 lines of code in liberty basic but wind up passing dozens of
parameters into subroutines. its pretty ugly. now runs but a bit too
complex for me to debug. so i figure oop is the way to go, but
unsuppported by most basic languages. i am a bit fearful to start over
in a new language. i am thinking it is worth effort to learn ruby.

any advice? thanks, craig.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Ill E. [email protected] wrote:


Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

You can test your code in real time. If you want to write a program and
run
it you need to write it in a text editor and then run it from the
command
line with ruby


“Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying.”

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Ill E. wrote:

any advice? thanks, craig.

What kind of problems for what kind of engineering?

Try taking a small piece of basic code and making just the syntactic
changes to get it running in Ruby. Then review the code’s control
structures and change them to use Ruby idioms. When you have a problem,
look up the language elements that seem to be involved in a Ruby book.
Check that all the paired things are where they should be( parens,
brackets, braces, quotes, do’s, end’s etc.).

When you are comfortable with straight procedural Ruby, look for groups
of variables that are usually used together. Replace them with arrays,
hashes, or simple data holding objects. Look for pieces of code that
only involves one kind of object. Make that code into a method on the
object. Explore your program and Ruby together. Every now and then you
will have an an “aha” moment when everything gets smaller, clearer, and
cleaner.

Learn to Ruby’s unit test facilities early on. Write little tests for
everything and run them after each change to your code.

Good luck and have fun.

–Bill

engineering problem
if you really want to know

  • structural and machinery analysis to dermine the load capacity for
    offshore cranes- including impact effects due to wave motion on load
    lifted from a workboat, as well as forces due to tilt and veerical and
    horizontal acceleration of crane itself mounted on a non level floating
    vessel.

ruby looks sweet. i hope to get the hang of oop

thanks much bill, walton and glenn

On 2009-09-24, Ill E. [email protected] wrote:

clearly i am no pro. i need to solve complex engineering problems. i now
have 2000 lines of code in liberty basic but wind up passing dozens of
parameters into subroutines. its pretty ugly. now runs but a bit too
complex for me to debug. so i figure oop is the way to go, but
unsuppported by most basic languages. i am a bit fearful to start over
in a new language. i am thinking it is worth effort to learn ruby.

Any language you learn will probably help you think about programming
better.

I find Ruby friendly and expressive. It’s far from being the language
I’m
best at (I’m definitely better in C and sh, probably better in awk,
perl,
and GNU make), but it’s a very versatile language.

I have never tried to learn Ruby except as an experienced programmer, so
I
am not sure what to recommend. I found the pickaxe book (“Programming
Ruby”)
quite pleasant and well-written, but I suspect that it helps a lot that
I’m used to programming. I liked Chris P.'s “learning to program”,
which I
read to see if I could recommend it to people, and I could.

-s

Craig,

Don’t know if this is still of use to you but visit
www.rubylearning.com to get in with a community of users who learn ruby
in a collaborative way.

you’ll be rubbing shoulders with very experienced programmers be they
sys admins or web developers.

but everyone (in the classes I’ve been in are starting at a similar
place) and i think if you have done some programming in basic you’ll fit
fine.

ruby core is FREE to join.

cheers,

dave.

Ill E. wrote:

thanks much. seems to work if i use text editor and then run from
command line.
i will also check out the ide’s.

clearly i am no pro. i need to solve complex engineering problems. i now
have 2000 lines of code in liberty basic but wind up passing dozens of
parameters into subroutines. its pretty ugly. now runs but a bit too
complex for me to debug. so i figure oop is the way to go, but
unsuppported by most basic languages. i am a bit fearful to start over
in a new language. i am thinking it is worth effort to learn ruby.

any advice? thanks, craig.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs