Windows Vista Tablet PC, handwriting and Open Source Software

Dear all,

sorry for asking something off-topic. I know there are
many Windows experts on this list and I couldn’t find
any response somewhere else yet.

I have a handheld PC running Windows Vista Ultimate (actually
an OQ02) which has a handwriting recognition tool.
This works very nicely for input of text into, say, Internet Explorer,
or Notepad or any other Microsoft-manufactured software.
But it doesn’t for Firefox or OpenOffice or other open source software
I have tried so far.
What is the reason for this ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Axel

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:17:44 +0900
Von: Phillip G. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: [OT] Windows Vista Tablet PC, handwriting and Open Source Software

| I have a handheld PC running Windows Vista Ultimate (actually
| an OQ02) which has a handwriting recognition tool.
| This works very nicely for input of text into, say, Internet Explorer,
| or Notepad or any other Microsoft-manufactured software.
| But it doesn’t for Firefox or OpenOffice or other open source software
| I have tried so far.
| What is the reason for this ?

Nobody has implemented the necessary code for these programs to talk to
the handwriting recognition API in Windows?

Philip,

yes, of cours, and your response is probably a good example of how to
write a default response to a post :slight_smile:
But do you know something about how to get some information about
where to start if one wanted to implement that API ? I am
almost exclusively coding on a Linux platform — so I need a little
help here.

Thank you,

Axel