From: “Cheri R.” [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 10:25 AM
Subject: [Rails-deploy] Windows or Linux for RoR Development

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Cheri R.
[email protected] wrote:

Any thoughts on this? I am contemplating a switch from a Windows
platform to Linux. Thanks!

Definitely Linux, both for development and production.

Reasons:

  1. Ruby is much faster on Linux (2-3 times difference when running
    tests for a Rails app)
  2. No messing around with slashes and backslashes in file paths.
  3. MICH better command-line environment (which is relatively more
    important for Ruby development - many Ruby dev tools have no GUI).
  4. Pretty much all Ruby libraries are developed on either Linux or
    Mac. Therefore, many have idiosyncrasies It’s pretty common to see
    “Subtle Windows bug fixed” as a CHANGELOG entry for version X.Y.1 of
    any library.
  5. Building native gems on Windows is just pain.

It’s possible to do Ruby development (and even production deployment)
on Windows, but Linux is certainly more convenient.

Alexey V.
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]
RubyWorks [http://rubyworks.thoughtworks.com]