Windows Language

Hello,

Is it possible to find the Windows natural language (ex. English,
French, Russian, etc…) from Ruby?

Thank you in advance,

Andr

On 2/12/07, André [email protected] wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible to find the Windows natural language (ex. English,
French, Russian, etc…) from Ruby?

Thank you in advance,

André

If you don’t mind using some good old fashioned command line tools,
here’s a
solution.

variables = set
lang_used = variables.scan(%r{LANG=.})
puts lang_used

Hope that helps.

On 2/12/07, Jason M. [email protected] wrote:

If you don’t mind using some good old fashioned command line tools, here’s a
solution.

variables = set
lang_used = variables.scan(%r{LANG=.})
puts lang_used

Hope that helps.

I have no such variable set (XP SP2).

On 2/12/07, Jan S. [email protected] wrote:

André

I have no such variable set (XP SP2).
The list of languages is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/nls_61df.asp
(The table is inwin32utils/windows-pr as well).

The function to retrieve is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/nls_2ip1.asp

or here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/nls_5c85.asp

depending on whether you want the system language or the user one
(multiple users can specify different languages)

Use WIN32API to glue them together (I don’t have time now to write the
function, sorry)

Is it possible to find the Windows natural language (ex. English,
French, Russian, etc…) from Ruby?

It’s ok, I found already. Here’s the code:

require ‘Win32API’
language = Win32API.new(“kernel32.dll”, “GetLocaleInfoA”, [‘L’, ‘L’,
‘P’, ‘L’], ‘L’)
x = " " * 255
language.Call(1024, 4097, x, 255)
puts x.strip

Regards!

Andr

On 2/12/07, André [email protected] wrote:

x = " " * 255
language.Call(1024, 4097, x, 255)
puts x.strip

Here’s another way to do it that might work.

variables = systeminfo
lang_used = variables.scan(%r{System Locale:.*})
puts lang_used

I like that way though.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs