Wiki recommendations?


#1

I’m trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the
sysadmin
team and I’m looking for suggestions. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

Pandora. Looks good, but I think there’s an issue with the licence that
would prevent me from being able to use it at work.

Instiki. After messing with it for a couple of hours and installing an
obnoxious batch of prerequisites, it still doesn’t work. Maybe it used
to
be good, but now it needs a lot of cleanup and care.

Ruwiki. Austin is a really sharp guy, but he hasn’t released any
updates
since 2004. That worries me a bit.

So, what do y’all suggest? Ruby based would be nice, I already have
ruby
on the system.

– Matt
It’s not what I know that counts.
It’s what I can remember in time to use.


#2

On 6/12/06, Matt L. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I’m trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the sysadmin
team and I’m looking for suggestions. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

[snip]
So, what do y’all suggest? Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
on the system.

I think somewhere along the line, the Pragmatic Programmers once
recommended UseModWiki, and it’s become somewhat of a staple in the
Ruby community. It’s written in Perl, and is pretty simple to set up
and use… though I still don’t understand its notion of user and
admin passwords.

If it’s only going to be used on an intranet, you might go with
something very simple like UseMod. An even simpler looking wiki is
PikiPiki (http://sourcefrog.net/projects/piki/). It’s written in
Python, and seems to be very basic. The fancier wiki named
“MoinMoin” originally sprung from the loins of PikiPiki. :slight_smile:


#3

Matt L. wrote:

Ruwiki. Austin is a really sharp guy, but he hasn’t released any
updates since 2004. That worries me a bit.

So, what do y’all suggest? Ruby based would be nice, I already have
ruby on the system.

I’m a big fan of DokuWiki. Its PHP, but you don’t have to mess with it,
just some config things and it works great, with sweet features.

A big plus for me is that it stores files on disk, as plain text. I
think this is configurable if you really think you need a DB.


James B.

“Take eloquence and wring its neck.”

  • Paul Verlaine

#4

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, James B. wrote:

I’m a big fan of DokuWiki. Its PHP, but you don’t have to mess with it, just
some config things and it works great, with sweet features.

But I would have to mess with building PHP. Sometimes quite an
adventure
on AIX.

And, I am very grateful to the folks who figured out how to build ruby
on
AIX. It’s wonderful to have it available.

– Matt
It’s not what I know that counts.
It’s what I can remember in time to use.


#5

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:16:55AM +0900, Matt L. wrote:

Ummm…No:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html


#6

Another Ruby wiki I consider worth looking at is Soks.

Cheers,
Dave


#7

John G. wrote:

On 6/12/06, Matt L. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I’m trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the sysadmin
team and I’m looking for suggestions. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

[snip]
So, what do y’all suggest? Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
on the system.

I think somewhere along the line, the Pragmatic Programmers once
recommended UseModWiki, and it’s become somewhat of a staple in the
Ruby community. It’s written in Perl, and is pretty simple to set up
and use… though I still don’t understand its notion of user and
admin passwords.

At the time the prags choose UseMod, there was not a lot of choices for
a Ruby-based wiki. Things have changed quite a bit since then.

Both RuWiki and Instiki are good choices for an easy to setup wiki.

The RubyGarden wiki has migrated away from UseMod, and is not running
Ruse. Ruse is quite a bit younger that either of the above choices, but
has advanced spam control mechanisms if you are thinking about putting
it on the internet. (see http://wikis.onestepback.org/Ruse for more
information)

– Jim W.


#8

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Jim W. wrote:

Both RuWiki and Instiki are good choices for an easy to setup wiki.

Instiki is no longer easy to set up, it’s now a long troublesome
installation that I wasn’t able to make work.

– Matt
It’s not what I know that counts.
It’s what I can remember in time to use.


#9

On 6/13/06, Matt L. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I’m trying to set up a wiki on an AIX box at work for use by the sysadmin
team and I’m looking for suggestions. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
[snip]
So, what do y’all suggest? Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
on the system.

This is very much a function of what you need it for.

My favourite “enterprise grade” wiki is Confluence[1]. It’s in Java,
so presumably will work on AIX. Admitedly I only use it, never set it
up.

If you need something for only a small group to share info and get
stuff done, may I suggest Pimki[2]? It’s a snap to set up (gem or SVN
snapshot) and gives you a few more bits for playing with information
than a standard wiki, but a few less when it comes to bells and
whistles. (The fact that I write it in no way means I’m biased :wink:

Cheers,
Assaph

[1] http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence
[2] http://pimki.rubyforge.org


#10

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:15:37AM +0900, Matt L. wrote:

Ruwiki. Austin is a really sharp guy, but he hasn’t released any updates
since 2004. That worries me a bit.

So, what do y’all suggest? Ruby based would be nice, I already have ruby
on the system.

I’m using Hiki[http://hikiwiki.org/en/]. It stores data in plain text
files,
is very featureful (lots of plugins) and can be extended trivially (I
modified/created several plugins for eigenclass.org: math rendering with
troff, syntax highlighting for Ruby, blog-like node aggregation,
enhanced RSS
plugin, etc.).