Why the change in links on the wiki?

I noticed this a few months back. Why do the links on wiki.nginx.org
link
nginx.org/en/docs/ instead of to wiki.nginx.org?

For example: the http core module doc link on
http://wiki.nginx.org/Modulespoints ->
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html instead of:
http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule

I kind of hate this. I find the wiki version of the module docs much
more
readable.

Why the change?

Hello!

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 01:04:17PM -0800, David Birdsong wrote:

readable.

Why the change?

Wiki pages for standard modules were created as an English
translation of Russian docs long time ago, when there were no
official English docs. Since then, official English became
available.

In past years we’ve faced multiple cases of old/incorrect/missing
descriptions on wiki confusing people, so these pages were
deprecated and links were changed to official docs instead.
Moreover, changing pages to do redirects instead was recenly
discussed. Supporing multiple versions of the documentation isn’t
something we want to spent time on, and bit rot on these pages on
wiki can’t be just ignored.

What exactly do you find “much more readable”? Wording? Design?
May be it’s something that can be improved in the documentation?

Maxim D.
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Maxim D. [email protected] wrote:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html instead of:
available.
May be it’s something that can be improved in the documentation?

I won’t claim to have any design chops, but as a reader, I prefer the
wiki
style and find that I can get information faster. I do a lot of nginx
‘coding’, so a large part of my life is spent referring to the
docs–speed
of navigation helps me a ton.

  • the index layout is easier to scan, possibly because of the colors and
    right-justify?
  • section headers seem absent on the standard docs
  • the syntax highlighting on the wiki makes it easy to spot examples

I jump around to different modules frequently and so the icon-based
navigation makes it easy for me to land my mouse on the modules or
addons
icon. I would have smudged the colors off of those icons with how
frequently I’m press on them if these pages were physical.

For me it’s just a simple case of one being superior to the other. If
nobody else cares, I’ll shut up and deal with it.