Why no forum app in rails yet?

Hi Guys,

So creating a forums application seems like something that rails can
handle easily and well, and whatever implementation that came to
fruition would be head and shoulders above existing products like
vBulliten and phpBB.

Even the existing rails forums are using php-based forum products! An
insult if you ask me.

So my question – is there any current development of a rails-based
forum?

-Grant

RForum
http://rforum.andreas-s.net/trac/

Opinion
http://home.leetsoft.com/opinion

Building a forum myself from scratch. You interested for some reason
commercially, or do you just want to better vbulletin?

I never want the bloat of vbulletin, but Opinion and RForum didn’t suit
me. Rforum has the cool mailing list tie-in though.

This is client work, so I don’t know if I will opensource it anytime
yet. But we’ll see.


Timothy J.
www.foundinteractive.com

I would like to see not a forum app but a forum plugin of sorts. Or
even just a generic forum that required access to as little as the
User class and then could plug into many different apps with little
or no configuration.

Opinion would be great for that, but it’s a full featured forum
application. I just want to add forum capabilities to my own app. For
that, I guess I’ll have to start brewing my own.

Jeremy

On Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 12:17:04PM -0400, Jeremy C. wrote:

I would like to see not a forum app but a forum plugin of sorts. Or even just a generic forum that required access to as little as the User
class and then could plug into many different apps with little or no configuration.

it would be cool if the forum itself could ‘plug in’ to sinks as well.
eg database, email, irc, usenet, webservice. and read from remote
webservice/aggregator, usenet, maildirs, mboxes, db…

and of course had good search, autoindexed when new content arrives

Opinion would be great for that, but it’s a full featured forum application. I just want to add forum capabilities to my own app. For that, I
guess I’ll have to start brewing my own.

there is acts_as_threaded, if you didn’t find it…

Really very simple, we had categories topic and posts in less than 30
hours including some lovely ajaxian love added to it.


Timothy J.
www.foundinteractive.com

I would like to second the idea of a forum that you can drop in to any
Rails
app as a plugin, featuring the above-mentioned features as well as RSS
feeds
of course. It’s a tool that a lot of people could find useful in their
custom apps.

Grant Ammons wrote:

So my question – is there any current development of a rails-based
forum?

Here’s one that’s in use…
http://railsforum.com/

On Jun 26, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Grant Ammons wrote:

Hi Guys,

So creating a forums application seems like something that rails
can handle easily and well, and whatever implementation that came
to fruition would be head and shoulders above existing products
like vBulliten and phpBB.
Even the existing rails forums are using php-based forum products!
An insult if you ask me.
So my question – is there any current development of a rails-based
forum?

I wrote a very simple forum for Rails Day which I’m continuing to
work on. http://www.frorum.net/

There has been some discussion on railsforum.com about a new Rails
based forum. See this thread:

http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=39

  • Brad

We wrote a forum entirely in Rails for http://www.chowhound.com.
There’s been some talk about CNET letting us open source it, but that
may not happen for a few months so sit tight. I’ll be doing a series
about how we built it on my blog in the coming weeks.

-PJ
http://pjhyett.com

You are using one right now

On Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 12:34:11PM -0700, PJ Hyett wrote:

We wrote a forum entirely in Rails for http://www.chowhound.com.
There’s been some talk about CNET letting us open source it, but that
may not happen for a few months so sit tight. I’ll be doing a series
about how we built it on my blog in the coming weeks.

damn, chowhound redesign!. damn, chowhound owned by CNET~!? . i’m way
behind the times. thanks for the tip…

David S. wrote:

You are using one right now

Hi. Ruby-forum is just a front end to the Rails mailing list (among
others). The original poster posted directly to the list.

While ruby-forum’s presentation is excellent, it does lead many people
to write responses in a style that suits the forum UI, and to ignore the
conventions of a mailing list (e.g. careful quoting of the post they are
responding to). This is a real pain for the mailing list subscribers.

Sorry to pick on your post as an example of this, but it is a good one
:slight_smile:

Justin

How do you get a digest of emails?

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs