Why is this a comile error


#1

I am doing a tutorial from the Thomas~Hansson book and am getting this
error:

Extracted source (around line #17):

14: <%= link_to ‘Add to Cart’,
15: {:action => ‘add_to_cart’,
16: :id => product },
17: class => ‘addtocart’ %>
18:
19:
20:

Trace of template inclusion: /app/views/store/index.rhtml

I’ve compared what I have with the book and they seem the same. I’m
thinking that either I’m missing something (very possible) or maybe the
error is actually being generated somewhere else but I’m very green (a
newbie)…

Does anyone have any ideas?

b


#2

On 13/01/06, bimo remus removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

19:
20:

Trace of template inclusion: /app/views/store/index.rhtml

I’ve compared what I have with the book and they seem the same. I’m
thinking that either I’m missing something (very possible) or maybe the
error is actually being generated somewhere else but I’m very green (a
newbie)…

This is better posted to the Rails list:

http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails

-austin


#3

thanks


#4

On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:14 PM, bimo remus wrote:

19:
20:

You are missing one character from the book. On the last line it’s
“:class”, not “class”. The latter is a reserved word in Ruby with
special meaning, thus the problem.

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II


#5

On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:17 PM, Austin Z. wrote:

17: class => ‘addtocart’ %>
green (a
newbie)…

This is better posted to the Rails list:

http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails

Is it, this time?

I know this has become our standard response, but the issue above is
a Ruby syntax mistake. It has nothing to do with Rails. Is that not
squarely in our area of expertise here?

I’m not trying to be argumentative. I’m honestly trying to
understand when we should forward them and when we should not.

James Edward G. II


#6

You are missing one character from the book. On the last line it’s
“:class”, not “class”. The latter is a reserved word in Ruby with
special meaning, thus the problem.

As well as the closing brace after ‘addtocart’

Caleb


#7

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 06:20 +0900, James Edward G. II wrote:

17: class => ‘addtocart’ %>
18:
19:
20:

You are missing one character from the book. On the last line it’s
“:class”, not “class”. The latter is a reserved word in Ruby with
special meaning, thus the problem.

By the way, you will be doing yourself a service to get a text editor
that includes syntax highlighting for Ruby and rhtml. Little mistakes
like this will be much easier to spot.

I know jEdit, Textmate and RadRails all support rhtml highlighting.

Jon


#8

On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Caleb T. wrote:

You are missing one character from the book. On the last line it’s
“:class”, not “class”. The latter is a reserved word in Ruby with
special meaning, thus the problem.

As well as the closing brace after ‘addtocart’

No, I don’t think so. Here’s the call again:

<%= link_to ‘Add to Cart’, {:action => ‘add_to_cart’, :id =>
product }, class => ‘addtocart’ %>

Don’t let that second Hash argument throw you.

James Edward G. II


#9

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:35:27 +0100, Jonathan L.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 06:20 +0900, James Edward G. II wrote:

By the way, you will be doing yourself a service to get a text editor
that includes syntax highlighting for Ruby and rhtml. Little mistakes
like this will be much easier to spot.

I know jEdit, Textmate and RadRails all support rhtml highlighting.

Jon

Speaking of which, I’ll have to get a multimode.el for XEmacs somewhere.
Making rhtml-mode shouldn’t bee too difficult.

David V.


#10

On 13/01/06, James Edward G. II removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:17 PM, Austin Z. wrote:

This is better posted to the Rails list:
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails
Is it, this time?

I know this has become our standard response, but the issue above is
a Ruby syntax mistake. It has nothing to do with Rails. Is that not
squarely in our area of expertise here?

Yes, it’s a Ruby syntax mistake. However, it’s not code that’s
runnable without Rails.

-austin


#11

Don’t let that second Hash argument throw you.

It did! Oh well, it’s Friday.

Caleb


#12

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 07:14 +0900, Caleb T. wrote:

Don’t let that second Hash argument throw you.

It did! Oh well, it’s Friday.

Not only is it Friday, but it’s the thirteenth :wink:


#13

On Jan 13, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Austin Z. wrote:

Yes, it’s a Ruby syntax mistake. However, it’s not code that’s
runnable without Rails.

I see a lot of code posted here that requires external libraries and
we fix that. Is there a reason Rails is different?

James Edward G. II


#14

On 1/13/06, James Edward G. II removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

squarely in our area of expertise here?

Yes, it’s a Ruby syntax mistake. However, it’s not code that’s
runnable without Rails.

I see a lot of code posted here that requires external libraries and
we fix that. Is there a reason Rails is different?

I’d say that it’s the fact that Rails already has a large support
community that we should point them in that direction. A lot of
libraries aren’t as easily supported, as if the developers may not get
to the questions in a timely fashion, etc etc.

I think though it seems a bit harsh, sending people to the Rails
mailing list actually does a service, rather than a disservice. If
they did not know it existed before, they find a great new resource,
otherwise, they just know where to ask next time.

Though, I usually try to offer whatever help I can with a question,
THEN point people to the rails list, just to be nice :wink:


#15

On 1/13/06, Matthew D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

This is better posted to the Rails list:

mailing list actually does a service, rather than a disservice. If
they did not know it existed before, they find a great new resource,
otherwise, they just know where to ask next time.

Though, I usually try to offer whatever help I can with a question,
THEN point people to the rails list, just to be nice :wink:

Once again, GBrown beats me to it. I agree.

For some reason, I think “Google Brown” when I see “GBrown”. Like
it’s some Google project or something.


#16

Gregory B. wrote:

http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails
I see a lot of code posted here that requires external libraries and
they did not know it existed before, they find a great new resource,
otherwise, they just know where to ask next time.

Though, I usually try to offer whatever help I can with a question,
THEN point people to the rails list, just to be nice :wink:

Once again, GBrown beats me to it. I agree.

If a person wants to use Rails to build their web app and they aren’t
interested in the Ruby that Rails is built in, I’m comfortable with
that. Referring them to the Rails list where they can talk Rails
without having to filter out all of the noise about that “Ruby” thing is
the best we can do.

If, on the other hand, they want to fix up some Ruby code or learn more
about what makes Rails tick then I think they’ve come to the right
place. I’ll be surprised on the day that I see this list turn someone
away that needs help with their Ruby code just because it’s for use in a
Rails app.

Matthew


#17

On 1/14/06, Joe Van D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

On 1/13/06, Matthew D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Gregory B. wrote:
Once again, GBrown beats me to it. I agree.

For some reason, I think “Google Brown” when I see “GBrown”. Like
it’s some Google project or something.

It kind of reminds me of M. Bison in street fighter.
Though it would be interesting if I were a google project.
My pockets are not overflowing with money, so i know that can’t be true
:wink:


#18

Matthew D. wrote:

Sorry if I caused any confusion. For what it’s worth, I think that Greg
Brown would make a fine Google project although I’m not sure what it is
that he would do.

I’m not sure, but I think a good slogan would be, “What can
Brown do for you?”

Hal


#19

Gregory B. wrote:

It kind of reminds me of M. Bison in street fighter.
Though it would be interesting if I were a google project.
My pockets are not overflowing with money, so i know that can’t be true :wink:

Sorry if I caused any confusion. For what it’s worth, I think that Greg
Brown would make a fine Google project although I’m not sure what it is
that he would do.


#20

Gregory B. wrote:

Brown do for you?"

A google / UPS merger in the works? I doubt I’d be creative enough to
figure that one out :wink:

Oh, is that UPS? I thought it was Ex-Lax. :smiley:

Hal