Where to find Ruby code idiom, is there a style guideline

As ruby popularity growing, more and more newbie programmer need a way
to improve their ruby ability effectively. Reading examplar code should
be a good way to achieve that goal. Are there somebody collecting and
cleansing ruby code idioms ? Or somebody is writing a book like
effective C++ or effective Java?

I have programmed with Ruby for half a year , and I have read Pickaxe,
Agile web development with Rails , Ruby developerâ??s guide, the Ruby way
etc. But there isnâ??t a book can fill the gap.

I am eagerly looking forward to such a book full of Ruby code idioms
which can also acts as a style guideline.

I really think we need a â??effective Ruby â?? now.

Best Regards.

uncutstone

I support that.

On 6/30/06, uncutstone wu [email protected] wrote:

As ruby popularity growing, more and more newbie programmer need a way
to improve their ruby ability effectively. Reading examplar code should
be a good way to achieve that goal. Are there somebody collecting and
cleansing ruby code idioms ?

+1

I’ve found one of the most time-consuming things about learning a new
language is getting up to speed with idiomatic usage: things like var
||=
“default value” and the like.

It’d be great to have annotated examples of such idioms.

;D

I’ve found one of the most time-consuming things about learning a new
language is getting up to speed with idiomatic usage: things like var ||=
“default value” and the like.

It’d be great to have annotated examples of such idioms.

Hmmm… Something like
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyIdioms
? :wink:

V.

Daniel B. wrote:

+1

I’ve found one of the most time-consuming things about learning a new
language is getting up to speed with idiomatic usage: things like var ||=
“default value” and the like.

It’d be great to have annotated examples of such idioms.
The Quiz is great for this.

(http://www.rubyquiz.com/ if you didn’t know…)

For me The Ruby Way represented this idion introduction. And afaik a
2nd version is in preparings.

./alex

.w( the_mindstorm )p.

(http://themindstorms.blogspot.com)

Victor ‘Zverok’ Shepelev wrote:

Hmmm… Something like
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyIdioms

Yes, that’s the kind of thing. It is useful but it’s too few and
imcomplete.
Is there somebody can collect more and make it more complete and
systematic?

Thanks.

uncutstone

Alexandru P. wrote:

For me The Ruby Way represented this idion introduction. And afaik a
2nd version is in preparings.

and Ruby Cookbook

uncutstone wu wrote:

systematic?
It’s a wiki page, so feel free to edit it.

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, uncutstone wu wrote:

I am eagerly looking forward to such a book full of Ruby code idioms
which can also acts as a style guideline.

I really think we need a â??effective Ruby â?? now.

wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz && tar xvfz
ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz && find ruby-1.8.4/lib/

it’s the best way.

regards.

-a

Definitely work your way through the code in the Ruby
Quizhttp://www.rubyquiz.com/and read code whenever possible,
Googling whatever looks unusual. Something
else, if possible, is to run short snippets of code by more experienced
Ruby-ites when you’re unsure of it’s quality.

James H

Hello,

Forgive me for the shameless self-promotion, but if you are coming to
Ruby from Rails, perhaps my little slide presentation

might also be helpful. I am in the process of turning this into a
slightly expanded ebook of 30 pages for Addison-Wesley as well,
available this month. Okay, enough of the self-promotion.

David Black has also written a book on Ruby for Rails that is worth
checking out.

Jake

Daniel B. wrote:

I’ve found one of the most time-consuming things about
learning a new language is getting up to speed with
idiomatic usage…It’d be great to have annotated
examples of such idioms.

+1

I’m pretty much at that stage myself. I’ve started
collecting a few templates at

I recently sussed out how to use modules (posted on it
yesterday). I plan to add to that to the site.

Right now, I’m in the market for a good example of an
RDOC-ready page that I can reduce to a template…

Alex Y. wrote:

The Quiz is great for this. (http://www.rubyquiz.com/

+1

Wow. Hecka good. Each one is an annotated tutorial.
It’s a veritable treasure trove of cool idioms!

Ooh. Very interesting, Jacob. I shall be keeping my eyes on this with
vested interest!

James H