Where is sqlite3?

I just went through the first demo in the AgileWeb D. with
Rails book, and it seems that a new dependency has broken the demo.

MissingSourceFile in SayController#hello

no such file to load – sqlite3

RAILS_ROOT: /home/kenb/rails-projects/demo

Ahh! You seem to be the first person on this list to run across that
wonderful new feature of Rails 2.0.2! Rails 2.0.2 doesn’t use MySQL by
default, but instead sqlite3.

You can install it by doing something like apt-get install sqlite3 or by
using your favourite package manager.

On Dec 18, 2007 12:01 PM, explainer [email protected] wrote:


Ryan B.
http://www.frozenplague.net

I just used Synaptic to install package sqlite3 on my Ubuntu Gutsy
Gibbon system, and I now have a sqlite3 command. But that doesn’t
change the behavior of the demo one bit. There is still a sqlite3
file missing.

Interesting. Try gem install sqllite3?

On Dec 18, 2007 12:16 PM, explainer [email protected] wrote:

MissingSourceFile in SayController#hello

no such file to load – sqlite3

RAILS_ROOT: /home/kenb/rails-projects/demo


Ryan B.http://www.frozenplague.net


Ryan B.
http://www.frozenplague.net

Wondering when I was going to make that typo, it’s sqlite-ruby or
sqlite3-ruby. Those are the gems you want to install.

On Dec 18, 2007 12:17 PM, Ryan B. [email protected] wrote:

RAILS_ROOT: /home/kenb/rails-projects/demo


Ryan B.
http://www.frozenplague.net

The #1 reason is that you don’t need to do anything

With SQlite3…

rails myproject
cd myproject
ruby script/generate scaffold project name:string description:text
estimated_hours:decimal
rake db:migrate
ruby script/server

There. You’re done. No creating permissions, users, databases, etc. No
need
to run an extra process (mysql) just to try something out. The database
is a
file, so its portable. I use it almost exclusively for the first phases
of
my projects because of its ease of use and portability. I recommend it
highly and am just thrilled by the fact that it’s the new default.

Some may complain that there aren’t many good GUI tools for SQLite…
but
with migrations, tests, and script/console, that’s not an issue at all.

That’s my .02

I was wondering why Sqlite3 has been chosen as the default for Rails
2.0.2. What does it have over MySQL to warrant such a change?

“Warning:
The information contained in this email and any attached files is
confidential to BAE Systems Australia. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email or any
attachments is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately. VIRUS: Every care has been
taken to ensure this email and its attachments are virus free,
however, any loss or damage incurred in using this email is not the
sender’s responsibility. It is your responsibility to ensure virus
checks are completed before installing any data sent in this email to
your computer.”

Thanks Brian.

That’s interesting. I take it you only use it for the early stages of
development and then switch to something like MySQL later?

Are there any changes you have to make to your source code to
accommodate the switch?

Cheers

John


From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Brian H.
Sent: Tuesday, 18 December 2007 3:21 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Rails] Re: What are the benefits of Sqlite3? [was: Where is
sqlite3?]

The #1 reason is that you don’t need to do anything

With SQlite3…

rails myproject
cd myproject
ruby script/generate scaffold project name:string description:text
estimated_hours:decimal
rake db:migrate
ruby script/server

There. You’re done. No creating permissions, users, databases, etc. No
need to run an extra process (mysql) just to try something out. The
database is a file, so its portable. I use it almost exclusively for the
first phases of my projects because of its ease of use and portability.
I recommend it highly and am just thrilled by the fact that it’s the new
default.

Some may complain that there aren’t many good GUI tools for SQLite…
but with migrations, tests, and script/console, that’s not an issue at
all.

That’s my .02

On Dec 17, 2007 8:00 PM, JUDD, John [email protected] wrote:

I was wondering why Sqlite3 has been chosen as the default for Rails
2.0.2. What does it have over MySQL to warrant such a change?

“Warning:
The information contained in this email and any attached files is
confidential to BAE Systems Australia. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email or any
attachments is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately. VIRUS: Every care has been
taken to ensure this email and its attachments are virus free,
however, any loss or damage incurred in using this email is not the
sender’s responsibility. It is your responsibility to ensure virus
checks are completed before installing any data sent in this email to
your computer.”

On Dec 18, 2007 7:43 AM, Thufir [email protected] wrote:

by Mrinal Kant
I spotted a Tk GUI recently too.

Most Rails developers would have been using Sqlite anyway in development
and test modes. Its really fast, and its also very easy to run sqlite in
memory
too.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:51:26 -0600, Brian H. wrote:

Some may complain that there aren’t many good GUI tools for SQLite…
but with migrations, tests, and script/console, that’s not an issue at
all.

SQLite Manager 0.2.11 Homepage
by Mrinal Kant

Manage any SQLite database on your computer.

Manage any SQLite database on your computer. An intuitive heirarchical
tree showing database objects. Helpful dialogs to manage tables,
indexes,
views and triggers. You can browse and search the tables, as well as
add,
edit and delete the records. Facility to execute any sql query. A
dropdown menu helps with the sql syntax thus making writing sql easier.
Easy access to common operations through menu, toolbars, buttons and
context-menu. Export tables/views in csv or xml format

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

-Thufir

I am having sufficient trouble with sqlite3 that I have decided to
revert back to rails 1.2.6 for the time being, and wait for the 2.0.2
install, dependency, and configuration problems to sort themselves
out.

So, let me pose a new question: How do I uninstall Rails 2.0.2?

On 12/17/07, Ryan B. [email protected] wrote:

On Dec 18, 2007 12:01 PM, explainer [email protected] wrote:

I just went through the first demo in the AgileWeb D. with
Rails book, and it seems that a new dependency has broken the demo.
Ahh! You seem to be the first person on this list to run across that
wonderful new feature of Rails 2.0.2! Rails 2.0.2 doesn’t use MySQL by
default, but instead sqlite3.

You can install it by doing something like apt-get install sqlite3 or by
using your favourite package manager.

And then move on the next of many riddles posed in trying to follow
AWDWR using Rails 2!


Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

explainer wrote:

I just went through the first demo in the AgileWeb D. with
Rails book, and it seems that a new dependency has broken the demo.

MissingSourceFile in SayController#hello

no such file to load – sqlite3

RAILS_ROOT: /home/kenb/rails-projects/demo

I’ve actually written a post regarding some help for beginners who just
started using the book with Rails 2.0. The short answer, if you don’t
want to read through my post is to use the command

rails -d mysql depot

Check out the details at
http://woonzai.com/blog/2007/12/18/help-for-rails-beginners-using-the-book-awdwr-and-rails-20/

You can change the adapter in the database.yml from adapter: sqlite to
adapter: mysql and then use mysql on Rails 2.0.2
On Dec 19, 2007 8:26 AM, explainer [email protected] wrote:

And then move on the next of many riddles posed in trying to follow
AWDWR using Rails 2!


Rick DeNatale

My blog on Rubyhttp://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/


Ryan B.
http://www.frozenplague.net

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs