What's your development environment?


#1

Right now I have an iMac, but I’m considering buying a Macbook or Mac
Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display
24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone
would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be
great.


#2

I have a MacBook Pro with a 30" display and I still wish for more
screen space. I keep TextMate open in a window that is about 1/2 the
screen. The other half gets about 2-3 Terminal windows for the server
and general command use. THen there are numerous browser windows and
such that are in front or behind as needed. I would like a second 30"
to put all the reference material and the browser window I am using
for testing. That way I could look at it all at once. If Apple
announces new displays soon I may get there. At the same time, it is
possible to work on just the MacBook Pro screen when traveling, I just
do more window management.

Michael

On Mar 20, 3:05 am, daniel fischer removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#3

Really really want a Mac, but for now it’s either Windows (work
computer)
and CMD or on Linux at home, bash, with Vim and Firefox (firebug,
webdev).

I’m a command-line junkie, but man, TextMate for Windows would ROCK
(yes,
I’ll eventually give e a try).

Jason


#4

Hi all,

2007/3/20, Jason R. removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

Really really want a Mac, but for now it’s either Windows (work computer)
and CMD or on Linux at home, bash, with Vim and Firefox (firebug, webdev).

I just switched to Ubuntu from Windows XP. Very good so far. I
reported on my changes here:
http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2007/03/19/now-on-ubuntu

Jason, on Windows, you should try the e Text Editor:
http://www.e-texteditor.com/. It uses the same bundles as TextMate,
except it runs on Windows. Before I switched to Ubuntu, that’s what I
was using exclusively.

Bye !

François Beausoleil
http://blog.teksol.info/
http://piston.rubyforge.org/


#5

you have to get a program like VirtueDesktop. in my setup, i have one
open for all my terminals, and 1 web browser, the second more web
browers and reference material, the third environment is for graphics
editing. i am running a 30" and a 17" mbp.

to the original poster, i highly recommned the 24" but if you got money
to spare, the 30" is awesome.

when i start making some money, id like to get a imac 24" connected to
my 30" dell. or maybe just get a mac pro with duel 30’s!.

MichaelLatta wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro with a 30" display and I still wish for more
screen space. I keep TextMate open in a window that is about 1/2 the
screen. The other half gets about 2-3 Terminal windows for the server
and general command use. THen there are numerous browser windows and
such that are in front or behind as needed. I would like a second 30"
to put all the reference material and the browser window I am using
for testing. That way I could look at it all at once. If Apple
announces new displays soon I may get there. At the same time, it is
possible to work on just the MacBook Pro screen when traveling, I just
do more window management.

Michael

On Mar 20, 3:05 am, daniel fischer removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#6

daniel fischer wrote:

Right now I have an iMac, but I’m considering buying a Macbook or Mac
Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display
24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone
would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be
great.

MacBook. I have 2 x 19" LCDs from the legacy of my Windows development
past, but haven’t bought a dvi adaptor yet. To be honest I love my
MacBook and screen realestate hasn’t proven to be a problem developing
rails apps. I love the portability, and it pretty much goes where I do.
A spare battery and a shoulder satchel/bag will be my next purchases
though. I guess I could use a larger desktop for Flash development, and
Aperture, but I’m pretty happy with it as it is. I don’t know if I could
handle being tethered anymore.


#7

kaps lock wrote:

daniel fischer wrote:

Right now I have an iMac, but I’m considering buying a Macbook or Mac
Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display
24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone
would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be
great.

MacBook. I have 2 x 19" LCDs from the legacy of my Windows development
past, but haven’t bought a dvi adaptor yet. To be honest I love my
MacBook and screen realestate hasn’t proven to be a problem developing
rails apps. I love the portability, and it pretty much goes where I do.
A spare battery and a shoulder satchel/bag will be my next purchases
though. I guess I could use a larger desktop for Flash development, and
Aperture, but I’m pretty happy with it as it is. I don’t know if I could
handle being tethered anymore.

You can add two monitors to a macbook? How? I thought only one monitor
per a graphics card?


#8

I got the MacBook Pro 17" with the 7200-rpm drive option, and it ships
with 2 gigs of ram. I also picked up a second monitor by Gateway. They
have a nice 22" HD LCD (model FPD2275W) for around $400 at Best Buy
that has a great picture and connects via DVI. I’m quite happy.

The MacBooks are nice too but I got tired of command-tabbing around my
12" Powerbook screen all the time.

On Mar 20, 3:05 am, daniel fischer removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#9

daniel fischer wrote:

You can add two monitors to a macbook? How? I thought only one monitor
per a graphics card?

No, you can’t add two (that I know of), I was just mentioning that I had
a couple of spare 19"ers left over from my evil days. I plan on using
one of them, I’d use both if I could though. I sort of miss that
capability.