I’m getting confused re the range of options for development &
deploying some simple code & UI to both Windows & Mac. Can anyone
assist re a good direction here. I do like Ruby, however if it makes
sense to move away from this (e.g. java, c#) then so be it. Which
development option would people suggest for this?
- Support for Windows & Mac
- The installation should be one-click and package all required
dependencies as much as possible.
- Scheduling capability required - so either via (a) installed as a
service/daemon, or (b) ability for installation to schedule periodic
call to script (former is preferred)
- Functionality component requires - ability to access/parse
web-sites, and then ability to make HTTP(S) calls out to my site to
store parsed data. So heave on HTTP(S) methods. Proxy support
required in app, so ability for user to enter
host/port/username/password for the proxy server.
DEV OPTIONS ?? - This is where I need help/advice. Some of the many
options that come to mind:
- Develop in Ruby and then find packaging product to create Windows &
Mac installation packages - not sure how doable this is yet?
Especially if I need the installation to effectively install as a
- Develop in Java for cross-platform? but then needs users to have
- Develop as Firefox addon? I’m not across this, but even if you
can write custom code, then the issue would be firefox would have to
be running I guess.
- Develop windows & Mac versions separately, for example using Visual
Studio Express to develop the windows version (assuming it can do HTTP
work & create packages for installing services).
What would people suggest here? (would be nice to write once, push a
button and then get the Mac & Windows installation packages spat out)