What OS do you use for Ruby development?

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,
-Nick

Ubuntu

I personally run a mix of Ubuntu and Windows 7 and I can assure you you
do
not want to be on Windows when developing for Ruby. I’ve also had
experience
with Ruby on OS X and found it really quite suited to the platform.

Rhys Powell AKA _frog
http://frogbot.co.cc/

Netbeans on Kubuntu and Windows7. It’s the same.

by
TheR

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Nick H. [email protected] wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

Arch Linux with rvm

martin

Windows 7 & Ubuntu Lucid.

Netbeans primary dev environment. Really minimises the OS differences. I
tend to standardise on JRuby a lot
across OSes.

I haven’t tried the new RubyInstaller on windows. Has huge updates over
previous versions (includes a toolchain
which allows for compiling native gems from source, POSIX fashion).

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Nick H. [email protected] wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,

OS X for development.

Linux for deployments, usually Ubuntu or whatever if the client has a
different preference.

I install Ruby from source on most platforms, now generally using RVM.

Rick DeNatale

Github: rubyredrick (Rick DeNatale) · GitHub
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

Our team of seven developers uses Ubuntu and nothing-else!!

Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/)

Malawi

Cell: +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

“Many people doubt open source software and probably don’t realize that
there is an alternative… which is just as good…” – Kevin Scannell

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Nick H. [email protected] wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

cygwin on Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu.

robert

Nick H. wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

Windows 7 for development. Also lots of little scripts. Currently
working on my first web app, which will actually end up being deployed
on OS/400 (Although I haven’t the faintest idea how I am going to do
that …).

Interestingly, of the people that answered so far, 60% run Windows,
only 10% run OSX. 100% run multiple different systems. This does not
match the typical rhetoric.

(Of course, the sample size isn’t exactly optimal to say the least.)

jwm

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Nick H. [email protected] wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,
-Nick

Ubuntu for development, ubuntu for deployment. Occasionally (when I
have to) I’ll edit some code under windows and maybe even run/test
stuff too.

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

OS X for development. Deployment on OSX and Windows.

Linux VM’s (gentoo), ruby compiled using rvm

then I actually edit code on windows via e-text editor (via samba share)

I find using linux = it just works, i had a small go at using windows
and
that wasn’t fun…

  • My data is on Windows (SQL Server 2005)
  • My clients are using Windows (Internet Explorer)
  • My other development tools are on Windows

so I decided to start learning Ruby and do my first project on:

  • Windows XP with Ruby 1.9.1

I use Windows 7 Pro

Data in SQL Server

IronRuby 1.1

Notepad++ as the editor…

On Sep 7, 2010, at 04:00 , Nick H. wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?

I use OSX for development and OSX Server or other BSDs for deployment.

Geoffrey Grossenbach, Evan P., Carlhuda, Laurent (duh), Eero/rue,
Ben B., Aaron P., Paul Dix and Eric H. also use OSX for
development.

I use Ubuntu in a really light vm, and leverage putty and xming to
minimize the size and requirements of the vm. I blogged the setup:

http://hoolihan.net/blog-tim/2010/07/08/developing-for-open-source-languages-on-windows-the-better-way/

On 9/7/2010 5:00 AM, Nick H. wrote:

I don’t want to start any OS wars. I was just curious as to what OS
you prefer to run/code ruby in. If you run *nix, what distro?
Thanks,
-Nick

At work: Windows
At home: Debian squeeze

Redcar as the editor. Which I highly recommend, it may not be as
polished as TextMate, but it’s getting cooler every day.