What editor or IDE do you use?

I’m pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM
for a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

Vim all the way. For me, fits the Ruby mantra of keeping things simple
but flexible.

Content preview: On 01.06.2011 00:36, David J. wrote: > Vim all the
way.
For me, fits the Ruby mantra of keeping things simple but flexible.
Vim too
here. There’s only one real downside here (for me, anyway): I’m used
to languages
using parenthesis and thus I’m used to navigate a lot with the % key
(jump
between parenthesis). Not so with ruby, to my knowledge there’s
nothing you
can make % to do jump between opening begin/class/etc. and closing
end. Would
love be proved otherwise here. […]

Content analysis details: (-2.9 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name description

-1.0 ALL_TRUSTED Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
-1.9 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
[score: 0.0000]
Received-SPF: none (Address does not pass the Sender Policy Framework)
SPF=FROM;
[email protected];
remoteip=::ffff:221.186.184.68;
remotehost=carbon.ruby-lang.org;
helo=carbon.ruby-lang.org;
receiver=eq4.andreas-s.net;

On 01.06.2011 00:36, David J. wrote:

Vim all the way. For me, fits the Ruby mantra of keeping things simple but
flexible.

Vim too here. There’s only one real downside here (for me, anyway): I’m
used to languages using parenthesis and thus I’m used to navigate a lot
with the % key (jump between parenthesis). Not so with ruby, to my
knowledge there’s nothing you can make % to do jump between opening
begin/class/etc. and closing end. Would love be proved otherwise here.

  • Markus

On 2011-06-01, at 00:33, Mike H. wrote:

I’m pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM for a
lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

Emacs and RubyMine, with some Eclipse and Aptana for multi-project
setups.

With kind regards
Uwe K.
Kubosch Consulting
[email protected]

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Avdi G. [email protected]
wrote:

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Mike H. [email protected] wrote:

I’m pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM for
a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

Emacs, as always. These days I also toss RubyMine into the mix for its
refactoring, Cucumber support, and project indexing. I set up a
keybinding to open files in Emacs for serious editing.
Brave move Avi :). I would never suggest vim to an experienced emacs
user and never emacs to an experienced vim user. The reason being that
Emacs is better than Vim and Vim is better than Emacs of course.

To OP eventually, now, if you are fine with vim there are few reasons
to change, there are marvelous plugins for Ruby and Rails and Git
and…

Redcar has made promising progress, the last time I checked, it is
quite nice now, I feel it deserves some publicity here.
Cheers
Robert

…if you’re using a Mac, you might consider TextMate…it directly
supports: Ruby, Ruby on Rails and Git…
…it’s well worth its cost, about $25…
…many of the Ruby and RoR books recommend it…