WEBrick won't start


#1

without going into actual source code yet, here is the general scenario:

i’ve pulled down a project from svn that a friend has been developing on
a linux box… i’m on a windows box.

if i run “ruby script/server”, i get one line of output:
=> Booting WEBrick…

then it dies and goes back to command prompt with no error messages.

…however, if i pull down the project on my linux box and start the
server, it works fine.

no database connection is used yet, though i do have it configured on
the windows side and pointing to a valid database. database.yml is
configured on the linux version, but the database has not been created
yet and it still starts normally.

has anyone experienced this? is there any way to get the webrick server
to output more verbose info on why it’s crashing?

thanks,
jeff


#2

On Jun 9, 2006, at 10:29 AM, jeff emminger wrote:

if i run “ruby script/server”, i get one line of output:
=> Booting WEBrick…

Check the ruby path specified in your dispatch.cgi/dispatch.fcgi/
dispatch.rb.

Warren Brian Noronha
http://www.hyperionreractor.net


#3

and if you want to get real fancy, run ‘strace ruby script/server’ to
see exactly whats happning, get ready for alot of text spew though.

d.


#4

David Andersen wrote:

and if you want to get real fancy, run ‘strace ruby script/server’ to
see exactly whats happning, get ready for alot of text spew though.

i’m on windows, so i don’t think i have strace… but i did find
something called “StraceNT”… ran that, and got an error:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt/readline.so: [BUG]
Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

plus 470MB of system calls :slight_smile:


#5

Warren N. wrote:

Check the ruby path specified in your dispatch.cgi/dispatch.fcgi/
dispatch.rb.

they were pointing to the ruby install on the linux box, so i changed
them all to point to the install on my windows box.

same error (or lack thereof) still…