I’ve release a 2.0.0.pre1 version of Warbler that is compatible with
184.108.40.206.pre2, but is not compatible (in theory) with anything earlier.
The plan for Warbler 2.x is essentially the same as JRuby 9k: only
supporting Ruby 2.2 onwards and some “modern” versions of Rails and
frameworks (we’ll figure out the specifics as time goes on). Development
will be done on the 2.x-dev branch:
The Warbler 1.x version line will continue to be supported for as long
JRuby 1.7.x is supported. However, it will not support JRuby 9k. It will
also, probably, not support “modern” versions of Rails and such (see
above). Development will continue on the master branch until 2.0.0 is
The 2.0.0.pre1 release is, otherwise, not that exciting. I mainly
it to keep parity with 1.4.7 while running on JRuby 9k. Here’s a summary
- Removed all references to Merb (yup, you read that right)
- Removed support for Rails 2.x
- Removed support for Ruby 1.8 (yes, it’s still there), 1.9, 2.0
- Removed some convoluted logic for loading bouncy castle jars
Here are some things I’m considering doing before a 2.0.0 release:
- Remove support for Rails 3.x (continue support on the Warbler 1.4.x
- Remove Winstone? (make way for Tomcat?)
- Upgrade all tests to use modern versions of frameworks and Gems.
- Add first-class support for cool stuff from Servlet 3.1 via jruby-rack
Here are some example apps – all of them ready to run on Heroku
Dirt Simple Rack Example:
Sinatra (using Servlet 3.1 async) Example:
Rails 4.1 Example:
Please give this a try, and let me know if you find any problems.
I’d also love to hear suggestions for improvements, new features, or
things we should be supporting.