Volunteers to fix Rake for non-Windows systems?

Overheard last night on IRC:

IronRuby SVN has a build system implemented in rake,
which is wholly broken on non-Windows systems.

Can someone who uses a non-Windows system volunteer to fix the Rakefile?

Thanks,
-John

I am on it
I have ever done a big step yesterday.
Will send patch when I have time :wink:
My patch will be for linux env

2007/10/12, John L. (DLR) [email protected]:

I am a bit stuck with Environment.build variable if someone know why it
return /release in rake file …

I have fix all ‘/’ issue and replace some path with linux path.
Someone know a variable to say Environment.pathSeparator or something
like
that to have the good path with the system.

The idea is to have one rake file for all :wink:

thanks,
olivier dufour

2007/10/12, John L. (DLR) [email protected]:

Thanks!

-John

[email protected]mailto:[email protected]>:
Overheard last night on IRC:

IronRuby SVN has a build system implemented in rake,
which is wholly broken on non-Windows systems.

Can someone who uses a non-Windows system volunteer to fix the Rakefile?

Thanks,
-John

You can use File.Join I think. Interestingly, that still uses “/” on
Windows systems in MRI/CRuby. But either slash should work on Windows.

-Eric

I am a bit stuck with Environment.build variable if someone know why
it return /release in rake file …

We build into different directories for debug vs. release builds - this
lets us potentially rename this in the future.

-John

System.IO.Path.DirectorySeparatorChar:

http://ablog.apress.com/?p=967

I had to do the same thing when I was managing the NUnit release on
Linux. Although the NewLine separators were by far the worst violators.

Cory

[email protected]mailto:[email protected]>:

Overheard last night on IRC:

IronRuby SVN has a build system implemented in rake,
which is wholly broken on non-Windows systems.

Can someone who uses a non-Windows system volunteer to fix the Rakefile?

Thanks,
-John

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

2007/10/13, Cory F. [email protected]:

System.IO.Path.DirectorySeparatorChar:
http://ablog.apress.com/?p=967

This is a good advice for .NET, but Rakefile is written in Ruby, so
unrelated to the topic of this thread.

Ah, my mistake. I saw Oliver’s Environment thing and thought of .NET.
Sorry!

Cory

Here’s what I was looking for:

http://www.rubycentral.com/pickaxe/ref_c_file.html

foyc@dilbert ~ $ irb
irb(main):001:0> puts File::SEPARATOR
/
=> nil

Cory

Ok, It compile.
In fact, Environment is a class of rakefile. I look for something in
rake
api ;(.
I have join an environment variable name mono to say if it is for mono
or
regular .NET.
so to compile you have to do “rake compile mono=yes” for example
For moment, it report an error but I am not sure if I must use gmcs or
smcs…
Any help and feedback needed to build a good rakefile compatible with
mono
:wink:

thanks,

On 10/13/07, olivier dufour [email protected] wrote:

For moment, it report an error but I am not sure if I must use gmcs or
smcs…

You have to use gmcs to compile the desktop version of IronRuby and
smcs to compile the Silverlight version (and define the SILVERLIGHT
compilation constant).

oki, thanks JB.

2007/10/13, Jb Evain [email protected]:

/release is not actually a path, it is the msbuild target:

            /release for production builds

                            And

            /debug for debug builds

mailto:[email protected] >:

Overheard last night on IRC:

IronRuby SVN has a build system implemented in rake,
which is wholly broken on non-Windows systems.

Can someone who uses a non-Windows system volunteer to fix the Rakefile?

Thanks,
-John

Ironruby-core mailing list

Ironruby-core mailing list

This email is intended solely for the recipient. It may contain
privileged, proprietary or confidential information or material. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and any
attachments and notify the sender of the error.

Olivier:

after looking at your changes to the Rakefile, most of them fall in the
bucket of using File.join() to concatenate pathname elements rather than
using a canonical delimiter ‘’. I was under the impression that the
pathname2 library would do the correct thing under Linux and convert the
‘’ to ‘/’. If that’s not the case perhaps we could fix it in pathname2
rather than drop File.join everywhere in the file? I’m cc’ing Dan B.
on this mail since he wrote the pathname2 library.

Dan:

I’m attaching Olivier’s Rakefile and the original Rakefile so that you
can get better context on this problem. A quick diff should show you
exactly what Olivier has done.

Thanks!
-John

olivier dufour:

smcs…
Any help and feedback needed to build a good rakefile compatible with
mono :wink:

Thanks for doing this Olivier! I’ll review and merge your changes in
with some others that John M. came up with this weekend and check
it in.

-John