Very simple question


#1

Bewilderer, tired beginner, here.

Executing this, in Arachno Ruby IDE -

print 'process ’ + filenm + ’ (1) or all files of type ’ + filetyp + ':

pf = gets

I get -

  1. nothing for my print statement - control just passes right past it.
  2. a “Exception: Bad file descriptor” out for “pf = gets”

I don’t understand why either is happening. Can someone clear this up
for
me?

– Tom C.


#2

On 12/30/05, Tom C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I don’t understand why either is happening. Can someone clear this up for
me?

I don’t understand what you’re trying to do.


#3

This is just a snippet from a larger program. Here, I’m trying to print
to
STOUT a prompt, then get a response, so I can act on it.

t.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:30:42 -0800, Joe Van D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#4

I don’t run Win XP, but my first thought is verify the path to your
ruby interpreter in your IDE.


/ ) | | |/ _ | _
| | | |
| ( ( | | | | |
|
| _
|_|||| ||
(
___/


#5

I just ran this (example from a book) –

print "Enter your name: "
name = gets

And had exactly the same problem. However, running it outside of
ArachnoRuby, simply as a Ruby file (I’m on WinXP), it runs fine. So, I
have a problem with how my IDE is functioning - I’m new to that as well.
I’ll look at that…

t.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:30:42 -0800, Joe Van D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

  1. nothing for my print statement - control just passes right past it.
  2. a “Exception: Bad file descriptor” out for “pf = gets”

I don’t understand why either is happening. Can someone clear this up
for
me?

I don’t understand what you’re trying to do.

================================================
Tom C., MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< TC.BestMindHealth.com / BestMindHealth.com >>
<< removed_email_address@domain.invalid >>


#6

Tom C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I just ran this (example from a book) –

print "Enter your name: "
name = gets

And had exactly the same problem. However, running it outside of
ArachnoRuby, simply as a Ruby file (I’m on WinXP), it runs fine. So, I
have a problem with how my IDE is functioning - I’m new to that as
well. I’ll look at that…

This is probably an issue of buffered IO and / or changed outputs. I’d
try

$stdout.sync = true
$stdout.print "Enter your name: "
name = $stdin.gets

HTH

robert