Versions Compatibility and RAILS_GEM_VERSION

Is there any problem with versions compatibility?

A project I started with 1.1.2 cannot run with 1.1.4.

Dreamhost recently updated their rails from 1.1.2 to 1.1.5 and 1.1.6.
Needless to say I got “Application Error”. However when I changed
RAILS_GEM_VERSION to either 1.1.5 or 1.1.6, it works. (Haven’t made a
thorough checking though.)

Here it seems there is no compatibility problem between 1.1.2 and 1.1.5
/ 1.1.6.

So if, I started with one version (e.g. 1.1.2) will it still work after
rails upgrade later (e.g. 1.9.9)?

What is the significance of RAILS_GEM_VERSION? Will changing it to other
versions break my application?

Is there any way to automatically set RAILS_GEM_VERSION to latest
installed Rails version (i.e. without editing environment.rb)?

Thanks

I’m having a similar problem with Dreamhost

  • had a simple app that was previously working on Dreamhost

  • now it’s not working (hadn’t checked it for several weeks) and I’m
    getting the below

  • rails log -
  • fastcgi.crash.log
  • http/error.log ==>
    FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server “…/dispatch.fcgi” aborted: (first
    read) idle timeout (120 sec)
    FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server
    “…/dispatch.fcgi”
  • fastcgi is executable & log files are writable

  • have tried “killall -9 ruby”

  • RAILS VERSION - Is this an issue below?
    $ gem list | grep rails
    ==> rails (1.1.6, 1.1.5)

  • I did try modifying the rails version in the environment.rb file to
    the following but this didn’t help
    “RAILS_GEM_VERSION = ‘1.1.6’”

Any ideas how to get the app going again???

Tks

Iseng — wrote:

Is there any problem with versions compatibility?

A project I started with 1.1.2 cannot run with 1.1.4.

Dreamhost recently updated their rails from 1.1.2 to 1.1.5 and 1.1.6.
Needless to say I got “Application Error”. However when I changed
RAILS_GEM_VERSION to either 1.1.5 or 1.1.6, it works. (Haven’t made a
thorough checking though.)

Here it seems there is no compatibility problem between 1.1.2 and 1.1.5
/ 1.1.6.

So if, I started with one version (e.g. 1.1.2) will it still work after
rails upgrade later (e.g. 1.9.9)?

What is the significance of RAILS_GEM_VERSION? Will changing it to other
versions break my application?

Is there any way to automatically set RAILS_GEM_VERSION to latest
installed Rails version (i.e. without editing environment.rb)?

Thanks

Actually the “RAILS_GEM_VERSION = ‘1.1.6’” approach below DID work.
Just had to issue a couple more “killall -9 ruby” commands.

Can anyone explain this rails version setting in environment.rb?

  • why does it need to exist?
  • what’s the work around to avoid one’s application bombing after the
    host company upgrades the version of rails?

Tks

Greg H. wrote:

I’m having a similar problem with Dreamhost

  • had a simple app that was previously working on Dreamhost

  • now it’s not working (hadn’t checked it for several weeks) and I’m
    getting the below

  • rails log -
  • fastcgi.crash.log
  • http/error.log ==>
    FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server “…/dispatch.fcgi” aborted: (first
    read) idle timeout (120 sec)
    FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server
    “…/dispatch.fcgi”
  • fastcgi is executable & log files are writable

  • have tried “killall -9 ruby”

  • RAILS VERSION - Is this an issue below?
    $ gem list | grep rails
    ==> rails (1.1.6, 1.1.5)

  • I did try modifying the rails version in the environment.rb file to
    the following but this didn’t help
    “RAILS_GEM_VERSION = ‘1.1.6’”

Any ideas how to get the app going again???

Tks

On 15/08/06, Greg H. [email protected] wrote:

  • what’s the work around to avoid one’s application bombing after the
    host company upgrades the version of rails?

Embedding rails with your app – either rake freeze_gems or rake
freeze_edge
as appropriate. Then you’re not using the host company’s version of
rails.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs