Usrp2 with atl1e gigabit ethernet device

Hi list,

I’ve connected a USRP2 to my laptop’s gigabit ethernet [1] and the
USRP2’s ethernet indicator LED is not on. Running find_usrp2s returns
zero results on my machine, while on another machine, using the same
cable, the USRP2 is detected.

I’ve read that some people have actually had it working well with the
same gigabit ethernet device [2] and was hoping that someone else
could say what the problem is here. My first instinct is to assume
that the auto-negotiation process [3] is not working. It used to be
the case, that if auto-negotiation was not working, a crossover cable
would fix the problem. Does that sound like an accurate diagnosis /
prognosis?

Rather than buy a new cable, I might be able to add a bit of code to
the kernel driver to allow for manual switching through a /sys entry
(if the device supports such control operations), but I thought that I
would ask the list for suggestions first.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] atl1e driver

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

[2]

http://old.nabble.com/Netgear-GA311-(Realtek-8169)-and-USRP-2-td20908796.html

[3]

It would seem that the atl1e device does support manual MDI
configuration, according to this [1].

[1] atl1e: Atheros L1E Gigabit Ethernet driver [LWN.net]

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Christopher F.

Someone told me that the USRP2 does not respond when connected to a
100/10 Mbps ethernet device. So, by default, the LEDs apparently do
not turn on unless connected to a gigabit device.

Even though my ethernet device was a gigabit adapter, thee LEDs still
did not turn on. That leads me to believe either

a) the MDIX auto-negotiation is not working, or
b) my ethernet device is not configured for gigabit speeds, even
though it’s capable of it.

Does anyone else on the list have a device that uses the atl1e ethernet
adapter?

C

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Christopher F.

I see what the issue is:

Some ATL cards incorrectly appear as “L1 Gigabit Ethernet” cards in
lspci, but they are actually the L2 adapters, which only support
10/100 Mbps networking.

That would explain a lot!

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Christopher F.

On Thursday 19 November 2009 15:36:38 Christopher F. wrote:

I see what the issue is:

Some ATL cards incorrectly appear as “L1 Gigabit Ethernet” cards in
lspci, but they are actually the L2 adapters, which only support
10/100 Mbps networking.

That would explain a lot!

List of tools that may be of help:

  1. Screwdriver + magnifying glass
  2. ethtool eth0
    (assuming eth0 is the correct interface, run as root)
  3. lspci -v

Stefan


Stefan Brüns / Bergstraße 21 / 52062 Aachen
phone: +49 241 53809034 mobile: +49 151 50412019

Hi Stefan,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Stefan
Brüns[email protected] wrote:

  1. ethtool eth0

exactly - that’s the last thing I checked, and it reported that only
10/100 Mbps was supported with my card (I thought that was especially
weird for a gbe card). Then I checked the kernel source and found the
atl1e module also handles atl2 rev A/B cards and realized that lspci
was talking smack.

  1. lspci -v

lspci was what misinformed me in the first place :stuck_out_tongue: (i.e. pci_ids has
some incorrect values for attansic cards). My card is not an ATL1[e],
but rather an ATL2[e] - I have no idea why lspci reported the wrong
device.

Thanks for your reply,

Chris