Usrp, gnuradio, windows, application help

Hi everybody,

   I would like to ask some questions regarding USRP. I really need
some help.
I got my USRP with a WBX and LP0410. I work on a computer running
Windows XP.
After I read many thing about how to install the GNU Radio in Windows
environment I could install it using MingW.

   I used the gnuinstall.py python script like many others but when I
tried to
run my first script in python I got an error message ImportError: No
module
named gnuradio. I don’t know what is the problem, the gnuradio is
installed, the
latest one GNU Radio 3.3.0.

   Could anybody help me with some ideas, how to make it work, and what
I’m
missing.

   The second question would be. I would like to use the GNU Radio for
a real
application. I want to make a .NET application with Delphi Prism and to
be able
to get data from USRP an set data. There are many informations out there
emulate python (there are even DLL files) to be able to run python
scripts from
a .NET application. What I want is to exchange data with some devices
running on
2 ISM bands (433 and 868). I will make an application with Visual Studio
2010
and I would like to be abel to read data through python script,
interprete data
and display in the form as some value or a therometer showing the value
sent by
a device. Wireless devices will have ASK, OOK modulation, some simple
stuff.
Anybody have made something like this and could help me to start it,
I’ll make
all the work but I need some help from those who already made something
like
this.

   Do you have any other idea how could I implement this, what other
solution
do exists? A alternative would be to use LabView but there are problems,
too. No
documentation or some help. It would be very good to have some DLL files
that
would implement functions and interface to the USB data, but even if I
was
searching for a long time, I couldn’t find anything.

   I’m opened to any suggestion, because right now I’m stuck, I don’t
have any
idea.

   Thank you very much for any idea. I wish everybody a nice day.

Best regards,
Sam E…

Sam,

Coming from a Windows user, I have to say that switching to Ubuntu was
1)
extremely easy and 2) greatly accelerated my understand and ability to
use
GNURadio/USRP - mainly because I could use the GRC, which is a
Labview-like
graphical interface to GNURadio and USRP.
I’d highly recommend giving it a shot first, at least to learn with,
before trying Windows development.
That’s my 0.02. YMMV.

Also check out the Simulink libraries - I think they’re linked from

-William

Hi William,

  thank you very much for your answer. I don’t really like Linux
because it has
many problems. As I’m writing you this message I’m installing Ubuntu on
VirtualPC, everything was OK, but when files were copied to the Virtual
drive it
gave me a BIG error, some I/O error while copying, so this is what I’m
talking
about, many problems and is very slow compared to Windows.

   Anyway I will try to install some older versions, maybe I will have
some
luck to install it.

   I would like to make the biggest part by myself, not using LabView
or Matlab
and neither Linux. What I would like to do is to use Windows
environment, to
install GNU Radio, emulate python in a OOP environment, meaning →
execute
scripts in a software and get out data. I don’t want to use USRP and GNU
Radio
to see waveforms (only at the begining when I will try it out and when I
will
write the script), I want to transfer data, to communicate with other
wireless
devices, etc. I want to use it in the practical side to transfer data,
if I
could get 2 bytes of data from a wireless device using microcontroller
it would
be heaven. This is the hardest part, to transfer my first byte of data,
after
tha I could make some nice things, nice systems.

   Thank you very much for your answer and I would be very happy to
receive any
idea from anybody.

Best regards,
Sam E…

Coming from a Windows user, I have to say that switching to Ubuntu was
1)
extremely easy and 2) greatly accelerated my understand and ability to
use
GNURadio/USRP - mainly because I could use the GRC, which is a
Labview-like
graphical interface to GNURadio and USRP.
I’d highly recommend giving it a shot first, at least to learn with,
before
trying Windows development.
That’s my 0.02. YMMV.

Also check out the Simulink libraries - I think they’re linked from

-William

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Sam E. [email protected]
wrote:

Hi everybody,

thank you very much for your answer. I don't really like Linux because it has

many problems. As I’m writing you this message I’m installing Ubuntu on a
VirtualPC, everything was OK, but when files were copied to the Virtual drive it
gave me a BIG error, some I/O error while copying, so this is what I’m talking
about, many problems and is very slow compared to Windows.

Flamewar much?

Of course its slower, its a virtual machine; and of course it crashed,
you were running it on windows! BTW I have a virtual windows running on
ubuntu to test UHD compilation. Its slow compared to its host system,
but not many problems in the crashing department. Virtualbox FYI

Lb4lb, I have found windows to be frustrating as a development
environment, and more sluggish with the IO. However, both platforms
crash in their own ways and lack support in their own ways.

If you just want to get some samples in and out of a USRP2 without using
gnuradio as a DSP library then you can use the UHD which builds native
on windows:
http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

It has USRP1 support, but I have not tested libusb1.0 under windows. So,
that being uncharted territory at the moment…

-Josh