Using unit test


#1

What is the most prevalent way of using unit testing in Ruby? Do I
require ‘test/unit’ and add test methods to production scripts and then
comment the testing portions out when not testing? Or, should I develop
a ‘testing’ version of the scripts identical to the production versions?

Thanks for any advice. I’ve got the concept down… just thinking about
implementation and actively using tests.

Brad


#2

On 3/23/06, rtilley removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

What is the most prevalent way of using unit testing in Ruby? Do I
require ‘test/unit’ and add test methods to production scripts and then
comment the testing portions out when not testing? Or, should I develop
a ‘testing’ version of the scripts identical to the production versions?

Thanks for any advice. I’ve got the concept down… just thinking about
implementation and actively using tests.

I generally put my tests in a separate tests directory from my code.
Then I have a ‘run_tests.rb’ file that runs all the tests. Here’s the
entirety of run_tests.rb:

    Dir["tests/*"].each { |f| require f }

Or, you could somehow use Rake to run the tests, like Rails does.

Joe


#3

On Mar 23, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Joe Van D. wrote:

about
implementation and actively using tests.

I generally put my tests in a separate tests directory from my code.
Then I have a ‘run_tests.rb’ file that runs all the tests. Here’s the
entirety of run_tests.rb:

    Dir["tests/*"].each { |f| require f }

Or, you could somehow use Rake to run the tests, like Rails does.

Even easier:

$ ls
test/
$ ls test
test_something.rb
$ testrb test
Loaded suite test
Started
.
Finished in 0.012917 seconds.

1 tests, 1 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors


Eric H. - removed_email_address@domain.invalid - http://blog.segment7.net
This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com


#4

rtilley wrote:

What is the most prevalent way of using unit testing in Ruby? Do I
require ‘test/unit’ and add test methods to production scripts and then
comment the testing portions out when not testing? Or, should I develop
a ‘testing’ version of the scripts identical to the production versions?

Thanks for any advice. I’ve got the concept down… just thinking about
implementation and actively using tests.

Brad

Put the tests in a separate directory alongside the code. Chapter 12 of
the Pickaxe includes some “best practices” for unit testing Ruby with
Test::Unit.


#5

On 2006-03-23 17:38:03 -0800, Tim H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid said:

Put the tests in a separate directory alongside the code. Chapter 12 of
the Pickaxe includes some “best practices” for unit testing Ruby with
Test::Unit.

I have a patch which fixes the test functionality in Minero A.'s
setup.rb, which lets you create a test/ directory and run:

ruby setup.rb test

and it will execute all the tests in the test/ directory.

Please email privately if you want the patch (I’ve already submitted it
and recieved no response).